Director of Engineering
Town of Halton Hills
Come join our team! We are looking for a candidate that shares our corporate values of Honesty, Excellence, Team, Fun, Creativity and Respect. These values are second nature for the successful candidate and are demonstrated in their work and interactions with colleagues and the community.
Reporting to the Commissioner of Transportation and Public Works, you are a licensed Professional Engineer in Ontario with an advanced background in municipal engineering and land development. This position will be responsible for and accountable to provide professional leadership of the Engineering Division, including the sections of Design and Construction and Development Engineering. You will have the responsibility for overseeing Infrastructure Management Systems, capital budget, capital forecast, asset management, as well as, departmental land acquisition requirements, development engineering and storm water management. This position will provide technical and professional advice to Council and Committees. You are a collaborative leader and skilled communicator capable to present on complex topics.
- Provide effective strategic leadership and management of the Engineering Division of the Transportation and Public Works department to ensure the delivery of corporate and operational objectives
- Communicate corporate and departmental objectives and priorities to the Division
- Manage the work of professional Divisional staff including hiring, performance management and any disciplinary requirements
- Carry out assignments as directed by the Commissioner that will advance departmental and corporate priorities
- Provide leadership toward developing long term infrastructure replacement, financing and rehabilitation programs through the preparation of the departments yearly Capital Budget and Business Plan
- Oversee the Development Engineering section to ensure consistency with Town priorities and consistent with best practices including the storm water management program for the Town and provide guidance for major sub-watershed studies
- Author Reports and provide professional advice to Council and attend Council meetings as required
- Provide confidential presentations to Council on departmental property matters and attend Council on these issues as required
- Professionally liable for Division’s assignments as required by the Ontario Professional Engineers Act
- Assume the role and responsibilities of the Commissioner as required
- Successful completion of a 4 year degree program in Engineering or the equivalent of education and experience
- Registered or Licensed Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario
- Over 15 years of progressive job experience within private and municipal settings, including senior management experience in a municipal setting
- Significant and proven experience in municipal engineering design, capital construction management, development engineering, storm water management, utility coordination and the application of engineering and asset management principles, theories and practices in a municipal environment
- Effective and collaborative team leadership and interpersonal skills
- Superior communication skills including verbal and written, dealing with a wide variety of audiences including; members of public, staff, consultants and contractors, on potentially contentious situations
- Strong contract management skills: mediation, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Sound knowledge of applicable Municipal, Provincial and Federal legislation
- Ability to ensure a high level of confidentiality
- Valid Ontario Class G Driver’s License with a clean driver’s abstract and access to a personal vehicle to perform duties
The salary for this position (35 hours per week) is $140,355 - $167,090 per annum. This position will require attendance at Committee and Council meetings, which may be after hours.
Qualified candidates may submit a detailed cover letter and resume in confidence to the Town by 4:30 p.m., February 23, 2018. Please quote Posting No. 201806 on your cover letter. Please apply using only one method of application below.
Attn: Human Resources
Town of Halton Hills
1 Halton Hills Drive
Halton Hills, ON L7G 5G2
Posting No. 201806
We thank all those who apply, but advise that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The Town of Halton Hills is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. If contacted for an interview, please advise the Human Resources staff of any measures you feel you need to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 (S.O. 2001, c.25) and will be used to select a candidate. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Manager of Human Resources.
1 Halton Hills Drive, Halton Hills, Ontario L7G 5G2
905-873-2601 | 1-877-712-2205 | 905-873-2347 (fax) | haltonhills.ca