Leq'a:mel First Nation
The accountant contributes to the success of the Administration by managing Leq'a:mel's finances on a day-to-day basis, ensuring accuracy and timeliness, and assisting the external bookkeeper on an ongoing basis. This position is responsible for processing Accounts Receivables (AR), Accounts Payables (AP), preparing bank deposits, and processing payroll on a weekly basis. The Finance Administrator also acts as the benefits and pension administrator for the Administration.
Finance and Accounting
- Process invoices and employee and Chief and Council reimbursements on a weekly basis and prepare cheques for appropriate signatures and distribution.
- Enter data and post all transactions to the general ledger, accurately coding information and entering it into the system in a timely manner. Assist bookkeeper with monthly queries, providing information on an as needed basis, and preparing for year-end activities.
- Process petty cash on an as needed basis
- Maintain accurate financial records including all invoices and audit files.
- Assist with the preparation of Administration’s budget.
- Prepare for Financial Reports for the General Manager upon request.
- Assist departments to fulfill financial reporting for various funding programs (eg. Income assistance, post-secondary programs, etc.)
- Prepare distributions to members including K-12 education distributions and annual distributions.
Payroll and Benefits/Pension
- Process payroll on a bi-weekly basis; compile payroll information and ensure accuracy and completeness of information, and that payroll related transactions are processed in compliance with internal policies and external legislation. Enter hours, pay adjustments, and benefit information. Ensure taxable benefits are correct, and requested deductions are made.
- Maintain payroll records.
- Perform year-end payroll procedures and produceT4 slips.
- Prepare Record of Employment (ROE) for employees as requested.
- Ensure tax remittances are made correctly and within required time frames.
- Prepare WCB remittances on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Process enrollments, terminations, and changes to benefits and pension plans and maintain accurate records.
- Prepare pension remittances.
- Process annual applications to Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Corporation (AANDC) for Band Employee Benefits program, and to the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OFSI)
All other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Analytical and solution-oriented
- Experience in payroll. accounts receivables and payables
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel; experience working with an integrated accounting software
- Knowledge of applicable legislations and regulations related to accounting, payroll, and taxes
- Knowledge of the Leq'a:mel First Nation and the Community
TRAINING, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree, or diploma with CPA or CGA designation
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience
Must be a self-starter with prior work experience in a standalone position
Salary: Leq'a:mel First Nation offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package, commensurate with qualification and experience.
Application Deadline: 4:00 PM February 15th, 2018
Preference will be given to qualified Leq'a:mel First Nation Members and Aboriginal applicants. Please self-identify on your cover letter or resume. Interested candidates are required to submit a resume, salary expectations and cover letter in confidence to:
Leq'a:mel First Nation
Attention: Ellen Torng
43101 Lougheed Hwy
Deroche, BC V0M 1G0
Location: Deroche, BC.
Region: Lower Mainland