City of Markham
The City of Markham is a dynamic and change-oriented leader among Canadian municipalities. The recipient of multiple environmental awards, we are recognized for our innovative sustainability and urban planning initiatives as much as for our fiscal accountability. More than 320,000 residents call Markham home and benefit from our rich heritage, culturally diverse environment, vibrant local economy and focus on quality of life.
Applications are now being accepted for the Building Inspector I position in the Building Standards Department of the Development Services Commission. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume on-line at https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=markham&jobId=231688&lang=en_CA&source=CC3 by February 13, 2018. While all applications will be received, current members of CUPE Local 905 (Inside Workers) will be given first consideration.
Reporting to the Area Supervisor and Trainer, you will carry out site inspections of new housing construction including building, HVA/C, plumbing and on-site sewage systems to ensure compliance with the Ontario Building Code, Municipal By-laws and other applicable law. You will issue field reports and orders in accordance with established practices whenever contraventions are discovered. You will investigate external and internal enquiries; conduct unrequested building inspections related to product installation and issue orders related to non-compliant products installation.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- College diploma in Architecture or Civil Engineering at technologist level
- Certified Building Code Official designation an asset
- Eligible for membership in AATO, OACETT, PEO or OAA with minimum of 4 years related building construction, plumbing or HVA/C experience & successful completion of provincially mandated examination program administered by MMAH relating to:
- Building Code Act and the Ontario Building Code (OBC)
- In the categories of qualifications that correspond to the types of buildings that will be inspected as set out in OBC
- Excellent working knowledge of the OBC
- Ability to read/interpret plans/specifications
- Commitment to providing quality customer focused service working in team environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Good computer skills
- Master plumber or Journeyman Plumber & sewage system inspector qualifications an asset
- Valid Ontario Class G Driver's license and use of personal vehicle for business purposes required. As a condition of employment, you will be required to provide a satisfactory driver's abstract, police clearance and medical clearance
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
We thank all those applicants who have applied however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent-free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office.