Manager of Transportation
City of Maple Ridge
Come grow with us! Maple Ridge, located in Metro Vancouver, is a vibrant and rapidly growing City with outstanding recreation, arts and cultural amenities and some of the most affordable housing in the region are key drivers of the expansion of the community’s population.
The dynamism of the community translates into an enthusiastic, responsive local government that provides terrific opportunities for personal and career growth. This combined with a dynamic community makes Maple Ridge a great place to work, play and live. Come join us and be part of the unity makes Maple Ridge a great place to work, play and live. Come join us and be part of the change.
The City of Maple Ridge is a growing and vibrant municipality that is seeking a seasoned Manager of Transportation to plan, direct and implement programs in support of both short-term and long-term transportation objectives, guided by the recently endorsed Strategic Transportation Plan.
Reporting to the Municipal Engineer, the Manager of Transportation will lead the Transportation Section that is responsible for planning, establishing, controlling and monitoring the policies and standards to ensure a safe and efficient multi-modal transportation network within the City. Considerable independent judgement and discretion is expected in the carrying out of daily operations.
Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices pertaining to traffic and transportation engineering is required as well as the ability to evaluate technical engineering information and statistics.
Your key responabilities are:
- Implementation of Strategic Transportation Plan Initiatives in support of a multi-modal transportation system – pedestrians, bicycling and automotive;
- Review of development application proposals and advises both City staff and developers representatives on acceptable design alternatives and solutions;
- Conduct technical analysis and design inputs for the City’s capital projects, especially those that are transportation-related;
- Provide technical expertise and transportation solutions to other City departments, especially Operations and Planning;
- Direct transportation-related City technical programs – traffic calming initiatives, traffic counts, studies, system upgrades, signal warrants and optimization programs;
- Review operational issues and develop recommendations;
- Prepare memoranda and reports for staff and Council;
- Conduct or supervise Road Safety Audits;
- Represent the City at internal, local and regional committees on transportation-related matters;
- Investigate and respond to resident complaints regarding traffic problems;
A little bit about you and requirements for this this position:
- Completion of a University degree in Civil or Transportation Engineering plus a minimum of five years of municipal related engineering experience at a supervisory level or higher, in the field of transportation/traffic operations and design, with strong knowledge of municipal development of transportation facilities. An equivalent combination of education/training and experience as acceptable to the employer may be considered; • Eligibility for membership in the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (P. Eng.);
- Eligible for Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (P.T.O.E.) Certification and be a member of the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE);
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, practices, techniques and equipment used in transportations planning, traffic engineering and functional road and signal design;
- Considerable knowledge of the multi-modal transportation networks in an urban environment with a particular emphasis on pedestrian, cycling and public transit;
- Knowledge of the concepts, practices and techniques of civil engineering and administration;
- Knowledge of municipal strategies and relevant policies, bylaws, procedures and legislation;
- Ability to demonstrate planning and coordination skills to ensure developments are appropriately integrated into existing and planned transportation networks;
- Excellent leadership and communication skills and is able to establish a results-oriented culture coupled with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts;
- Ability to problem solve and to make decisions on a variety of technical engineering problems and matters;
- Ability to research and analyze data and interpret, apply and enforce regulations and standards;
- Valid BC Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia;
- A commitment to excellent customer service, continuous improvements and life-long learning.
A little bit about us:
The City offers a competitive compensation package that includes a strong wellness program and the opportunity for career and professional development.
If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
If you possess the fundamental skills, experience and education required to be successful in this role then we invite to provide a cover letter and résumé in confidence to either Barb Schimnowsky at firstname.lastname@example.org 604-569-2071 ext. 303 or Matthew Bell at email@example.com. You can also call or 604-569-2071 ext. 302 if you require more information
We thank all applicants for their interest and will be pleased to answer any questions you may have.
However, please note that only those candidates with relevant background will be contacted