Manager of Infrastructure Development
City of Maple Ridge
Come grow with us! Maple Ridge, located in Metro Vancouver, is a vibrant and rapidly growing City with outstanding recreation, arts and cultural amenities and some of the most affordable housing in the region are key drivers of the expansion of the community’s population.
The dynamism of the community translates into an enthusiastic, responsive local government that provides terrific opportunities for personal and career growth. This combined with a dynamic community makes Maple Ridge a great place to work, play and live. Come join us and be part of the unity makes Maple Ridge a great place to work, play and live. Come join us and be part of the change.
The City of Maple Ridge is a growing and vibrant municipality that is seeking a seasoned Manager of Infrastructure Development.
Under the general guidance of the Municipal Engineer you would manage the Development Engineering portfolio. This includes the work of directing the review of plans for subdivisions and other developments for engineering plans, standards and requirements. Ensure that all legal provisions related to servicing are in place prior to issuance of Development Approvals. Responds to complaints and inquiries from the public; recommends approval of completed work following inspection. Supervises, both directly and indirectly employees within the department.
Your key responsibilities are:
- Prepares and maintains detailed operating and capital needs and budgets for and related to development engineering.
- Develops, recommends and implements policies and procedures for Development Engineering. Through the Municipal Engineer makes recommendations for improvements in the Municipality’s standards, by-laws, policies and procedures.
- Reviews and directs the reviews by staff of plans and designs submitted with applications for subdivisions, rezoning, development permits, and building permits, to ensure compliance with Municipal servicing plans, standards, and specifications. Determines adequacy of services and suitability of proposals within existing zoning regulations.
- Ensures that all legal and other provisions are in place prior to issuance of development permits.
- Responds to inquiries and complaints from the public during or following development. Provides information to developers and planners regarding apparent suitability of properties for redevelopment under present zoning.
- Inspects work completed by developers to ensure that approved designs and standards have been followed. Ensures that temporary roads are removed; in conjunction with the Operations department, accepts municipal services which have been constructed by developers
- Prepares a variety of reports for submission to Council.
- Plans and manages the Development Engineering Section team including work plans, authority for, training, performance assessment, performance management, and maintenance of safe work practices.
A little bit about you and requirements for this position:
- Completion of a University degree in Civil or Transportation Engineering plus a minimum of five years of municipal related engineering experience at a supervisory level or higher.
- Eligibility for membership in the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (P. Eng.),
- Knowledge of municipal strategies and relevant policies, bylaws, procedures and legislation;
- Ability to demonstrate planning and coordination skills to ensure developments are appropriately integrated into existing and planned transportation networks;
- Excellent leadership and communication skills and is able to establish a results-oriented culture coupled with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts;
- Ability to problem solve and to make decisions on a variety of technical engineering problems and matters;
- A commitment to excellent customer service, continuous improvements and life-long learning.
- Ability to research and analyze data and interpret, apply and enforce regulations and standards.
- Valid BC Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia.
A little bit about us:
The City offers a competitive compensation package that includes a strong wellness program and the opportunity for career and professional development.
If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
If you possess the fundamental skills, experience and education required to be successful in this role then we invite to provide a cover letter and résumé in confidence to either Barb Schimnowsky at firstname.lastname@example.org 604-569-2071 ext. 303 or Matthew Bell at email@example.com or 604-5692071 ext. 302.
We thank all applicants for their interest and will be pleased to answer any questions you may have.
However, please note that only those candidates with relevant background will be contacted.