Senior Municipal Technologist
Scope of Position:
Direct the work flow and provide guidance in the daily work of the Municipal Technicians who are responsible for topographical, construction and pre-engineering surveys and construction inspection. Direct the preparation of tenders/quotes/RFP’s and cost estimate. Administer and provide effective project and contract management on various capital projects. Ensure adequate site inspections and work is carried out in a satisfactory manner.
Knowledge and Experience
- Over two up to and including three year Community College program in Civil Engineering studies or equivalent.
- Three years, up to and including four years experience to be familiar with scope of position
- Certified under OACETT as Certified Engineering Technician (CET) or Certified Technologist (C-Tech) would be considered however must have ability to obtain (CET) within 18 months from date of hire.
Skills and Abilities:
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Computer expertise in corporate standard software (Microsoft Office) and department specific software to data search and entry and to create and modify word processed documents
- Must be aware of safe work practices as they relate to job responsibilities and work environment, and have the basic understanding of the Occupational Health & Safety Act
- Schedule, organize and assign work to Municipal Technicians and temporary staff and ensure work is completed in a satisfactory manner
- Provide field supervision for construction and maintenance activities and assist with those activities when and if required
- Guide/direct assigned staff through contract process
- Ensure a high degree of safety on construction sites, for survey operations and for the travelling public
- Ensure Health and Safety practices are implemented by survey crew and contractors
- Organize and assign onsite inspections for capital projects to ensure conformity to standards and specification
- Ensure conformity and approve municipal consents for utility installation projects
- Assist Supervisor/Manager on technical matters regarding design, traffic data, by-laws, tendering and reports to Council
- Define project requirements with consultants
- Ensure all aspects of tendering process are adhered to, from preparation, advertisement, closing and award of Council approval
- Analyse and interpret quality assurance results regarding various materials
- Analyse construction methods and advise/implement most cost effective and efficient process
- Ensure projects are completed on time and within allocated budget
- Develop program for County wide traffic study and initiate and schedule
- Develop the program and organize field layout for pavement hazard and delineation markings
- Review and comments on various computer programs related to engineering functions
- Operate survey equipment in the completion of construct layout, pre-engineering and topographical surveys
- Prepare field notes containing survey sketches and calculations and prepare construction plans using field notes
- Perform other duties as assigned
The Corporation of Norfolk County is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Resumes must be submitted through email, mail, fax, courier, or in person to Human Resources & Staff Development by 4:30 p.m. on the last day of the posting.
Human Resources & Staff Development
185 Robinson Street, Suite 300
Simcoe, ON N3Y 5L6
Phone: (519) 426-5870 – Fax: 519-427-5902
Successful applicants are required to provide the Employer with a current Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector where required and verification of education, transcripts preferred.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
Salary: $27.29 - $34.12 per hour
Division: Public Works
Closing Date : February 12, 2018