The Town of Smiths Falls
The Town of Smiths Falls is a vibrant, progressive single tier municipality with a population of 9,000. One of Eastern Ontario’s most scenic communities, we are centrally located within an hour of Ottawa, Kingston, Brockville and the US border.
The Town provides a high quality and affordable life for its residents, with beautiful heritage buildings, two theatres, a charming downtown, and world-class museums and recreational facilities. Enjoy our thriving cultural scene with live music, foodie finds, a local brewery, and dozens of community events – all at the heart of the Rideau Canal, Ontario’s only UNESCO World Heritage site and a gateway to the region’s abundant lakes and waterways.
The Town is accepting applications for one (1) full time Senior Planner
Duties of the position include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for reviewing and processing development applications made under the Planning Act and other legislation.
- Prepares and presents professional planning advice, research, reports and recommendations to Council.
- Administers and enforces land use planning procedures and policies.
- Provide information, interpretation, advice and opinion regarding planning, growth and development issues to the public, agencies, municipal staff, consultants, committees and councils.
- Oversee and direct planning processes (including official plan amendments, zoning by-law amendments, subdivisions / condominiums, site plans, consents, minor variances, interim control by-laws, etc.) including the preparation of notices, by-laws, reports, agreements, etc.
- Prepares site plan control agreements and coordinates the review of site plans with internal departments and outside agencies.
- Responsible for the preparation of the Planning budget and monthly monitoring of the same.
- University degree in a Planning Program or a related discipline.
- Registered Professional Planner designation from the Ontario Professional Planners Institute, or must agree to obtain designation within a time frame mutually acceptable to the Employer.
- A minimum of three years of land use planning experience, preferably within a municipal planning environment.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal, written (including report writing), presentation and related communication skills.
- Excellent research, analytical, organizational, time management, communication, independent decision making, problem solving and negotiation skills.
- Ability to interact harmoniously and diplomatically with the public, development industry, Town departments and elected officials.
- Comprehensive understanding of the Planning Act, other relevant statutory documents, Provincial Policy, and planning processes.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office as well as knowledge of basic Geographic Information Systems and mapping.
- Valid drivers’ license, the use of a vehicle, and the ability to travel as required to fulfill job responsibilities.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume by: Friday February 9th, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. to:
Human Resources Advisor
by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.