Government Relations Specialist-12 months contract
City of Brampton
12 months contract
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager, Government Relations and Public Policy, this role contributes to the development and implementation of government relations initiatives to support the Mayor, Councillors and Corporate Leadership Team. Establishes linkages for the City of Brampton with opportunities arising from all orders of Government (local, regional, provincial, federal) in efforts to advance priorities. Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders to identify, align projects, and develop initiatives and services that could be eligible for external funding.
- Provide consistent, regular and reliable information and advice to Mayor, Councillors, Corporate Leadership Team on strategies that contribute to positive government relations outcomes
- Regularly monitor, report and advise on government activities, initiatives and public policy decisions impacting the City
- Working collaboratively with other departments, take a lead role in the research, development and identification of external funding opportunities for the City to leverage improving its financial stability
- Maintain a current list of locally elected officials, Members of Cabinet and key senior officials at the provincial and federal levels
- Provide support and input to federal and provincial government public policy development, including submissions to federal and provincial standing committees, task forces and commissions
- Proactively conduct research and analysis (including benchmarking and best practices), and prepare documents relating to current public policy issues, trends, recommendations and potential impact(s) to the City
- Assist in the implementation of key government relations initiatives, including pre-budget submissions, election strategies and communications with legislative committees
- Conducts research and analysis using internal and external resources to gain insight into current public policy, programs and processes
- Identifies current trends in influencing provincial and federal decision making
- contribute to regular briefings to Mayor, Councillors and Corporate Leadership Team
Communication and Reporting
- Provide timely updates and regular legislative analysis on emerging public policy issues, including funding opportunities
- Provide public policy analysis and recommendations to advance City priorities and identify advocacy needs and opportunities
- Champion excellence in customer service standards and delivery with key external partners and stakeholder groups
- Maintain an active network with other governments’ officials, associations and community agencies
Teamwork & Cooperation
- Work well within diverse groups to achieve common goals and objectives to improve efficiency
- Participate in project initiatives as required
- Demonstrate corporate values at all times
- Participate as a member of cross-functional teams
- Post-secondary degree Political Science, Public Administration, Business or suitable equivalent
- Formal post graduate training in public administration, public policy or other professional designation is an asset
- 3-5 years government relations, public relations, volunteer/community liaison experience preferably in the public sector
- Proven experience in government relations, public policy development, strategy
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with ability to foster trust, cooperation and collaboration
- Time management, organizational, analytical, research and presentation skills
- Excellent ability to manage significant issues which attract political/media/community attention through sound issues management techniques and ability to manage diverse relationships
- Knowledge of legislation and awareness of current social, economic and sound political acumen is an asset
- Ability to collaborate with various levels of staff and political leaders
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office/software.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Starting Salary: $76,060.00
TO APPLY: Please apply online, quoting file number: 102773 by January 5, 2018 at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com and search for key words City of Brampton. If you require assistance with the application process, please contact us directly. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview with be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. We are dedicated to equal opportunity.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.