Senior Advisor, Client Services
City of Brampton
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting directly to the Manager, Client Services (Finance), this position is responsible for providing strategic direction and leadership in providing financial related client services for a portfolio of departments. This position is responsible for building strong relationships with senior leaders across the City and to be a trusted advisor regarding their business requirements. This position will be responsible for building their team into a strategic operation that provides outcome-based, effective and efficient services to their department portfolio. This position will provide decision-making that impacts significant programs, processes, policies and practices to meet the Strategic Plan goals and objectives. This role will participate in strategic planning at both the sectional level as well as the provision of expertise to the broader City-wide strategy. Promote an environment of trust, respect, diversity and inclusiveness throughout the organization.
- Oversee operational excellence and integrity by establishing goals and objectives to promote optimum effectiveness and ensure implementation of appropriate policies and practices that meet the Service Plan goals and objectives.
- Build strong relationships with senior leaders across the City and to be a trusted advisor regarding their business requirements.
- Build their team into a strategic operation that provides outcome-based, effective and efficient services to their department portfolio.
- Identify and manage interdependencies among a number of highly complex, concurrent innovative or specialized projects and work collaboratively across the organization and Finance division to leverage opportunities.
- Provide the Manager, Client Services (Finance) with recommendations on managing critical issues and risks.
- Participate in strategic planning at both the sectional level as well as the provision of expertise to the broader City-wide strategy.
- Ensure a high standard of financial planning, budget, management reporting, and analytical support is delivered consistently to their department portfolio.
- Identify performance, efficiency and innovation improvements on behalf of client departments and prepare financial impact analysis and assist with implementation and provide training.
- Lead and be accountable for their team in its day-to-day activities.
- Lead, motivate and retain a team of high performing employees that is capable of delivering results.
- Coach, mentor and initiate training of staff to guide their professional development and succession planning.
- Lead the implementation of opportunities to increase the productivity of their team, reduce risk to the City and increase quality of service to client departments.
- Lead strategic change to meet organizational goals, particularly in aspects related to decision making and generating consensus.
- Provide qualified strategic and tactical financial advice to staff, departmental clients and other stakeholders.
- Liaise and interact with government agencies, public and private sector organizations, departments and Council to exchange information and acquire knowledge.
- Partner with other leaders within the division to ensure alignment and coordination of broader Finance services for the organization.
- Build effective working relationships at all levels, particularly with senior leaders in client departments across the City, ensuring the highest possible level of client satisfaction and being established as a trusted advisor.
- Build and foster strong working relationships and collaborative arrangements with internal and external customers, stakeholders, business and community leaders, sponsors, public and the media.
- Ability to interact with internal and external key stakeholders, community groups, government agencies, public and private sector organizations.
- Attend Council, Committee and Corporate Leadership Team meetings to represent their department portfolio(s), provide expert advice and recommendations to influence decision-making that have positive outcomes.
- Present findings and recommendations in a compelling way at the senior level.
- Review and approve business proposals, reports prepared by staff for presentations to senior management, Council, stakeholders and recommend changes as required to influence effective decision-making.
- Provide professional consultation, including reports to Council and Committees.
- Identify opportunities and challenges and recommend best practice solutions.
- Act as final review for deliverables developed prior to sending to the Manager, Client Services (Finance) for approval.
- Maintain knowledge of all laws, regulatory, judicial mandates, ordinances, legislative various acts, codes and by-laws set out by Federal, Provincial or Municipal levels of government.
- Ensure that all financial and procedural requirements are carried out in accordance with corporate financial policies.
- Use of effective resource and expense management at all times to meet corporate policies and guidelines.
TEAMWORK AND COOPERATION
- Ability to foster engagement, debate and discuss building of consensus to achieve Strategic Plan goals and objectives.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment to achieve Strategic Plan goals and objectives while respecting diverse cultural backgrounds and perspectives.
- Demonstrate success developing and implementing multi-faceted Strategic Plans for diverse stakeholders with wide-ranging impacts.
- Promote teamwork and integration across the organization.
- Demonstrate corporate values at all times.
- Post-secondary degree in Business Administration or other relevant discipline.
- CPA designation (CA, CMA, CGA) or CFA or MBA is required.
- Certificate in Lean Six Sigma/Kaizen is considered an asset.
- 5-7 years progressive financial/accounting experience preferably in both a public and unionized environment is an asset
- 2-3 years supervisory leadership experience; Ability to lead, influence, direct and motivate staff.
- Experience leading strategic change to meet organizational goals
- Strong diplomatic, facilitation, influencing, collaborative and consensus-building skills
- Expert knowledge of Municipal, Regional, Provincial and Federal Governments, applicable Legislations and awareness of current social, economic and political priorities
- Ability to interact with internal and external key stakeholders, community groups, government agencies, public and private sector organizations
- Experience developing policies and procedures and ensuring compliance
- Ability to prioritize highly complex tasks with critical deadlines
- Highly-developed analytical skills for complex problem solving
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office/Sharepoint
- Experience working with a large corporate Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
TO APPLY: Please apply online, quoting file number: 102772 by January 12, 2018 at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com and search for key words City of Brampton. If you require assistance with the application process, please contact us directly. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview with be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. We are dedicated to equal opportunity.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.