Environmental Services Technologist
Scope of Position:
Assists the Water and Wastewater Compliance Supervisor with engineering review of subdivision plans, site plans, and capital reconstruction plans. Perform functions related to water treatment and distribution, wastewater collection and treatment and waste management.
- Provide departmental review and approval for water and wastewater infrastructure on all site plans, developments and planning amendments
- Administer and control easements, leases, encroachments, property transfers, certain contractual agreements associated with the Environmental Services Department
- Maintains water and wastewater infrastructure asset inventory
- Assists the Water and Wastewater Compliance Supervisor in matters related to the compliance reporting of the various water and wastewater systems owned by Norfolk County
- Provide information regarding systemized plans, records and projects on County infrastructure concerning inspections, implementation solutions as they pertain to County by-laws and regulations
- Receive and respond to customer complaints concerning water, sanitary sewer, water metering and billing,and ongoing infrastructure maintenance projects
- Provide information and procedures to solicitors and consultants on water and wastewater infrastructure owned by the County
- Ensure compliance with Sewer Use By-law activities (inspections, sampling, visits to wastewater treatment facilities, reporting spills)
- Assist in preparation of water and wastewater reports for submission to the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change
- Update, change or design water and wastewater drawings as required
- Produce annual reports regarding all water plant data for the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change
- Report adverse water samples to the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change and Ministry of Health and Long Term Care
- Assist in the writing, evaluation and administration of the laboratory services contract and assist with the wastewater treatment contract as needed
- Review and revise the Miscellaneous Charges By-law, Sewer Use By-law and Water By-law as necessary
- Monitor industrial/commercial wastewater streams and identifies non – compliant practices
- Monitor ground water and surface water quality at municipality operated sites and other locations as required
- Assist with implementation and enforcement of source water protection policies
- Collect samples, perform appropriate field and lab analysis and arrange for supplementary lab analysis as required
- Maintain and repair field sampling and testing equipment
- Assist with county initiated programs such as theWater Meter Replacement Program, Rain Barrel promotion, and Cross Connection/Backflow Prevention Program.
- Provide technical insight and relevant information for locate requests
- Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge & Experience:
- Grade 12 plus an additional three year Community College program in Civil Engineering studies, or equivalent
- Designation as a Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.) would be considered an asset
- Over three years, up to four years experience to be familiar with scope of the position, or equivalent previous experience
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Knowledge of construction and project management techniques
- Knowledge of current related legislation
- Ability to apply water chemistry principles to solve problems related to water contamination and processes used in the treatment of water and wastewater.
- Extensive knowledge of Drinking Water Quality Management Standard (DWQMS) program
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Computer expertise in corporate standard software (Microsoft Office) and department specific software to data search and entry and to create and modify word processed documents
- Must be aware of safe work practices as they relate to job responsibilities and work environment, and have the basic understanding of the Occupational Health & Safety Act
Salary: $27.97 - $34.94 per hour (2017 rate)
The Corporation of Norfolk County is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Resumes must be submitted through email, mail, fax, courier, or in person to Human Resources & Staff Development by 4:30 p.m. on the last day of the posting.
Closing Date : January 12, 2018
Human Resources & Staff Development–
185 Robinson Street, Suite 300,
Simcoe, ON N3Y 5L6
Phone: (519) 426-5870 – Fax: 519-427-5902–
Successful applicants are required to provide the Employer with a current Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector where required and verification of education, transcripts preferred.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those to be interviewed will be contacted.