City of Brampton
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager, Inspections this position performs building inspections to ensure construction and installations meet all referenced standards set by the Ontario Building Code as well as plans, specifications, documents and applicable laws and by-laws.
- Performs detailed and comprehensive inspection of buildings and/or sites to ensure that construction is in accordance with the Ontario Building Code, plans, specifications and documents.
- Identifies reports and/or tests required by professional engineers (geotechnical, structural, mechanical, fire protection) and architects, to ensure they are received at the relevant stages of construction and correctness and remedial measures are taken where reports and/or construction is deficient.
- Liaises with homeowners, contractors, trades and professional designers through the construction process to ensure that required inspections are undertaken and that any violations of the Code are corrected.
- Requests information and/or additional documentation from manufacturers and testing agencies for verification and ruling, to resolve uncertainty with new products or systems as it relates to intended performance, Building Code requirements and suitable site condition application.
- Provides assistance to homeowners and professionals who require clarification and understanding of the purpose and intent of the Ontario Building Code as it applies to interpretation, compliance methods, and current updates.
- Liaise with plans examiners to resolve design and construction issues related to the Ontario Building Code.
- Respond to Occurrence Reports generated by public inquiry or initiated by Police and/or Fire Services reports, By-law Enforcement or internally.
- Investigate fire damage and building impact/failure accidents to determine requirement for a building permit or unsafe condition.
- Maintains accurate and comprehensive inspection and investigation records
- Issues Orders to Comply, Stop Work Orders, and Orders to Uncover, Orders Not to Cover as a result of site investigations and in accordance with the legislative process.
- Prepares documentation for the purposes of prosecution and testifies in court as required.
- Provides comment and input into the development of technical policies and procedures as required.
- Maintains current knowledge of the Ontario Building Code and all standards referenced therein and s
- Performs additional similar and related duties as assigned.
- High school (Grade 12) graduation plus an additional program of over two and up to three years in Civil Engineering Technology, Architectural Technology or equivalent
- Over four years, up to and including eight year of experience in building construction or design process.
- Within six (6) months from date of hire, successful completion of the following Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing Provincial qualification examinations:
- Legal Processes
- Small Buildings
- Within 12 months from date of hire, successful completion of the following Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing Provincial qualification examinations:
- Large Buildings
- Building Structural
- Building Services
- Complex Buildings
- Non-probationary valid Ontario Class G driver’s licence.
- Sound judgment; good decision making and analytical skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and additional related software.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
TO APPLY: Please apply online, quoting file number: 102719 by January 7, 2018 at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com and search for key words City of Brampton. If you require assistance with the application process, please contact us directly. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview with be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. We are dedicated to equal opportunity.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.