Business Development Consultant – Real Estate
City of Hamilton
As astute in corporate real estate, development, and harnessing market dynamics as you are at communicating, negotiating, and managing project teams, you bring the right combination of skills and experience to this exciting full-time, 24 month opportunity within the City of Hamilton’s Economic Development Division.
Reporting to the Manager of Real Estate, you will be responsible for the delivery and administration of real estate services, with a particular focus on securing and disposing of property and real property rights. This will include research, advice, and negotiations, as well as planning for, and/or guiding the work of others (internal and external) with respect to City real property assets, interests (fee simple, easement, encroachment, strata, lease, etc.), and activities (appraisals, acquisitions (purchase or expropriation), leases or licenses, relocations, property management, portfolio management, asset management, environmental audits, site improvements, and dispositions).
Your qualifications as a Business Development Consultant include:
- Proven excellent knowledge in real estate and development, real estate financing and economic development, and valuation principles and practices normally acquired through the completion of a university degree and training in Urban Planning, Economics, Business or Finance, or other related discipline; or a combination of related education and a minimum five (5) years’ relevant work experience.
- Progressive diversified experience in negotiating transactions pertaining to the transfer of interests in real property, including property valuation, understanding legal requirements and drafting agreements, planning for the orderly use and/or disposition of real estate interests, and real estate development, involving a broad range of commercial, residential, industrial, institutional and mixed-use properties, as well as experience in dealing with the public.
- Working knowledge of the Ontario Municipal Act, Ontario Planning Act, Land Titles Act, Assessment Act, Environmental Assessment Act, land use, zoning, community impact, environmental controls, building codes and other relevant property management/real estate related legislation, such as the Expropriations Act and the Commercial Tenancies Act.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to deal effectively and collaboratively with elected officials, business and community stakeholders, peers, all levels of management, the media, and the general public.
- Excellent organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills to manage, supervise and balance a number of projects simultaneously, and to meet deadlines.
- Extensive project management experience leading multi-disciplinary teams, preferably in the area of real estate and portfolio planning, and demonstrated interpersonal and negotiating skills enabling the effective resolution of issues.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of a variety of effective stakeholder consultation and engagement strategies.
- A high level of skill in research and problem-solving, and experience in the field of public administration are considered assets.
This 24 month position offers a salary range of $86,500 to $101,000 per annum (2018 rates) and benefits, based on a 35-hour work week schedule.
Hamilton. A city of progress.
At the City of Hamilton, our vision is “to be the best place to raise a child and age successfully.” With our rich history, culturally strong and diverse communities, blend of urban and rural attractions, and ideal location in the heart of the Golden Horseshoe, Hamilton is a vibrant community of neighbours. We are also a leading employer, with many opportunities to grow and excel. We invite you to share in our vision as part of the Economic Development Division in the Planning & Economic Development Department.
For full details and to apply
If you are interested in working alongside a dedicated team that’s contributing to the well-being of Hamilton’s residents, please visit www.hamilton.ca/careers for details on this Business Development Consultant position, JOB ID #13342, and to apply online, by Saturday, January 6, 2018.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
The City of Hamilton values the diversity of our workforce and the knowledge of our people. We thank all who have applied; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.