Manager of Water and Wastewater Services
Town of Lakeshore
The Town of Lakeshore is a beautiful Municipality situated in southern Ontario along Lake St. Clair. The Town has a population of over 35,000 and is one of the fastest growing municipalities in Ontario. Lakeshore enjoys a temperate climate year round with more than 200 growing days. Lakeshore's affordable lakefront community enjoys over 35 km of waterfront, low taxes, a high quality of life and abundant recreational opportunities with the new multi-use recreation centre, the Atlas Tube Centre including pools, 3 arenas, gyms, and much more.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering and Infrastructure Services, the Manager of Water and Wastewater Services is responsible for the overall administration and management of the water and wastewater treatment services for the Town of Lakeshore, including all associated facilities and systems engineering, operations and maintenance of the Town’s water and wastewater treatment, pumping, distribution and collection systems in accordance with all municipal policies and Ministry of Environment regulations.
- Civil or Environmental Engineering degree from a recognized university or Certified Engineering Technologist or related field.
- 5 – 10 years progressive experience in a supervisory, management position preferably with municipal experience directly related to water and wastewater treatment or related experience
- Valid Class “G” Driver’s licence
- Experience in a unionized environment would be an asset
- Class 3 in water treatment/distribution would be an asset
- Excellent organizational, time management, management and public relations skills.
- Excellent computer, report writing and communications skills, both verbal and oral.
- Technical knowledge in water treatment/distribution and wastewater treatment/collection
- Advanced knowledge of Ontario Provincial policies, legislation and regulations that affect municipal water and wastewater treatment facilities
- Demonstrated ability to prepare accurate reports and polices with researched information, logical analysis and recommendations
- Excellent computer skills
- Leads and oversees the Town of Lakeshore Water Supply System Drinking Water Quality Management System
- Maintain the efficient operation of all staff and resources required to effectively operate and manage the water and wastewater treatment systems for the Town including:
- Responsible for the development, monitoring and administration of the division budget, including all capital, operating and life cycle items.
- Oversee and manage the operations of the systems ensuring appropriate maintenance is carried out and accurate records are kept
- Development and managing of all procedures and processes related to the operation of the division including review and monitor of all statistical records relative to facilities and operations to ensure compliance with all application regulations, legislation, by-laws, etc.
- Manage staff through coordination and consultation with the Supervisor of Water Operations
- Oversee and manage all projects and activities of the division.
- Provide assistance and consultation with other departments as required to ensure coordination of projects and the effective and efficient provision of services.
- Managing the compliance program for education and training requirements for water treatment operator licensing
- Manage all contracts including OCWA and waste management disposal contracts.
- Design of small scale design work for minor water and wastewater projects
- Oversee and manage preparation, review and awarding of tenders related to the operation of the division.
- Ensure that staff training requirements are maintained in accordance with all necessary requirement of certifications and licences.
- Provide training, guidance and instruction to staff as necessary to ensure compliance with all Occupational Health and Safety regulations and municipal standards, policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Prepare and present reports, correspondence and documents for Council, outside agencies and other departments within the town
- Provide direction, guidance and support to division staff
- Consulting and coordinating action plans with other departments, groups and agencies
- Ensures that all equipment, vehicles, infrastructure and assigned technological equipment such as computers, radios, cell phones are maintained in accordance with corporate policy
- Ensure that the terms and conditions of any and all Collective Agreements are administered and adhered to
- Other duties as assigned
Qualified applicants interested in the position are to email a detailed resume outlining their qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly indicating Manager of Water and Wastewater Services in the subject line. This is a non-union position. The salary is $93,468 to $109,338 (2017 rates) annually with competitive benefits and pension.
Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will only be used for the purpose of determining eligibility for this competition. The Town of Lakeshore is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations under the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) will be provided upon request.