Plans Examiner, Customer Service
City of Brampton
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Supervisor, Plans and Permits, provides preliminary plans assessment to determine completeness and adequacy of permit applications; performs detailed plans review submitted for permit application for construction of small buildings, housing and miscellaneous projects; provides technical assistance to customers and the general public over the counter and responds to telephone enquiries.
- Provides preliminary plans assessment to determine completeness and adequacy of permit applications.
- Performs detailed plans review submitted for permit application for construction of small buildings, housing and miscellaneous projects.
- Provides technical assistance to customers and the general public over the counter and responds to telephone enquiries.
- Liaises with building inspectors for resolution of design and construction issues and permit application status.
- Performs calculations for the determination of fees, construction value and development charges.
- Liaise with design professionals, contractors, owners, fire prevention officers and other agencies in the completion of plans review.
- Updates and maintains the Building Department Library.
- Maintains current knowledge of the Ontario Building Code and all related standards referenced therein.
- Updates the computer tracking system for application status review and permit issuance.
- Performs other similar and related duties as assigned.
- High School (Grade 12) graduation plus an additional program of over one year and up to two years in Architectural or Engineering Technician or equivalent.
- Over one (1) year, up to and including two (2) years in a regulatory environment or direct experience in construction or design.
- Within six (6) months from date of hire, successful completion of the following Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing Provincial qualification examinations:
- Within 12 months from date of hire, successful completion of the following Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing Provincial qualification examinations:
- Small Buildings
- Building Structural
- Building Services
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
TO APPLY: Please apply online, quoting file number: 102726 by December 14, 2017 at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com and search for key words City of Brampton. If you require assistance with the application process, please contact us directly. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview with be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. We are dedicated to equal opportunity.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.