Water Distribution Technologist / Inspector
City of Hamilton
A full-time, temporary position of up to 24 months with Hamilton Water in Hamilton, ON.
If you’re an Engineering Technologist or similarly qualified professional with Water Distribution certification and an inspection background, the City of Hamilton invites you to consider joining our team as part of a special project.
Reporting to the Superintendent, and working with all phases of water distribution construction and maintenance projects, activities and programs, you will assist in the investigation, planning, inspection, maintenance, technical support and operation of the water distribution system. As a Water Distribution Technologist / Inspector, you will be expected to participate in meetings, committees and projects, produce statistical analysis, prepare background research, and manage record systems, contracts, documents and water distribution system data.
Your qualifications as a Water Distribution Technologist / Inspector include:
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge of the duties listed above, normally acquired through a community college diploma as an Engineering Technologist (Civil, preferred) or equivalent and/or a combination of education and progressive work-related experience.
- Possession, at the time of application, of a current valid Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC) Water Distribution Class I Certificate (or greater), achieved by examination; proof thereof is required. Preference will be given to candidates with higher levels of certification by exam. A Class II Water Distribution Certificate is preferred.
- Experience with site administration within an inspection role, with large municipal construction projects (sewer and water main) and municipal contracts, including inspecting work for conformance to contract documents, confirming survey data, documenting project progress, maintaining project schedules, and processing payment certificates.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, and the Ontario Safe Drinking Water Act.
- A broad knowledge of City of Hamilton bylaws, Traffic Control Manuals, City Safety Policies, Maintenance Management Standards, Ontario Fire Code, and Plumbing and Building Codes.
- Experience in a computerized environment with word processing, data entry, and manipulation of spreadsheets.
- A working knowledge of the Infrastructure Management System (Hansen database, preferred).
- A working knowledge of a GIS system; GeoMedia, preferred.
- Experience successfully executing and completing assignments independently.
- Demonstrable ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff and the public.
- Experience operating equipment such as gas detectors, flow meters, data loggers, static gauges, chlorine testers, electronic locating equipment and metal detectors.
- NOTE 1: Must possess and maintain a Class "G" Driver's Licence valid in the Province of Ontario and a point-free driving record and/or a record found to be satisfactory to the City of Hamilton.
- NOTE 2: As a condition of employment, the successful applicant(s) will be required to obtain a satisfactory Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check, at their own expense, prior to beginning work in this position.
This CUPE Local 5167 Inside full-time, temporary position offers a wage range of $37.242 to $42.320 per hour (based on a 40-hour work week schedule).
Hamilton. A city of progress.
At the City of Hamilton, our vision is “to be the best place to raise a child and age successfully.” With our rich history, culturally strong and diverse communities, blend of urban and rural attractions, and ideal location in the heart of the Golden Horseshoe, Hamilton is a vibrant community of neighbours. We are also a leading employer, with many opportunities to grow and excel. We invite you to share in our vision as part of the Hamilton Water Division in the Public Works Department.
For full details and to apply
If you are interested in working alongside a dedicated team that’s contributing to the well-being of Hamilton’s residents, please visit www.hamilton.ca/careers for details on the position of Water Distribution Technologist / Inspector, JOB ID #12951 and to apply online, by Wednesday, December 13, 2017.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
The City of Hamilton values the diversity of our workforce and the knowledge of our people. We thank all who have applied; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.