Senior Plans Examiner
City of Niagara Falls
The City of Niagara Falls is a dynamic, internationally renowned city with a prosperous business community growing from a diverse economic base that includes tourism, manufacturing, professional services, and commercial sectors. Dedicated to excellence in public services, we invite you to discover why Niagara Falls is a premier place to live, work, and play
Review and ensure that all construction plans and details conform to the Ontario Building Code (O.B.C.) and other provincial legislation.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES:
- Conduct plan examinations of architectural, structural, mechanical and electrical drawings for Part 3 buildings as outlined in Table 2.20, 2.1 of the O.B.C. namely complex and large buildings. Also including Part 9 small buildings and residential single and two family dwellings when necessary. Coordinate the review of major buildings, and assign plan reviews to the Plan Examiner.
- Calculate fees associated with permit applications including City and Regional development charges.
- Correspond/liaise with owners, architects, engineers and designers with respect to plan examination matters.
- Receive and review building permit applications to ensure that all necessary information as required by the O.B.C. has been submitted for review.
- Conduct inspections as they relate to the construction and renovations to all of the buildings as outlined in Table 2.20, 2.1 of the O.B.C., namely complex buildings, large buildings, small buildings, residential single and two family dwellings when necessary.
- Ensure the building applications comply with zoning by-laws and subdivision agreements in consultation with the Senior Zoning Administrator.
- Generate plan examination reports. Maintain and update records in the database and file.
- Respond to inquiries with regards to compliance/clarification of the O.B.C.
- Review proposed site plans, rezoning applications, land severance applications, minor variances, Niagara Escarpment applications, and provide comments on behalf of the Building and By-law Division.
- Coordinate and obtain approvals from other City Divisions and outside agencies.
- Assist Building Inspectors and others with code interpretation or field inspections.
- Act as a witness in court under the Provincial Offences Act, in order to prosecute owners or builders
Your professional profile will include:
- Minimum is a three (3) year college diploma in Engineering Technology or related field.
- Successfully completed Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing courses:General Legal, House, Small Buildings, Large Buildings, Complex Buildings, Plumbing – All Buildings, Building Service and Building Structural.
- At least five (5) years related experience.
The starting hourly rate for this full time position is $38.89 (35 hour work week).
To apply on-line by Friday, December 8, 2017, please visit our website at www.niagarafalls.ca (Select Careers and Employment).
We are committed to inclusive employment practices.