County of Sturgeon
- Motivate and lead staff by providing management/direction to the department; establishing department goals and objectives, providing technical direction and promoting excellence in regards to internal and external customer service.
- Develop objectives for Unit. Assist direct reports with setting annual goals. Set annual performance expectations for direct reports. Supervise activities of direct report. Provide on-going job performance feedback, mentoring and coaching to direct report.
- Establish and maintain financial policies, procedure and guidelines and ensure that appropriate audit and internal controls are in place to safeguard assets.
- Coordinate and ensure the audited financial statements are completed in accordance Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and the Public Sector Accounting Board.
- Assist with the development and monitoring of the finance department budget.
- Analyze monthly actuals vs budget and make recommendations.
- Review and approve monthly journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Analyze funding models to ensure a link exists between the financial models and operations.
- Develop and implement budget reporting and budget best practices.
- Develop, recommend and implement policies, plans and programs for the administration of the appropriate finance, budget, payroll, and accounting functions.
- Analyze reports to accurately determine operating and capital funding requirements including reserve drawdowns, deferred revenue, debt, and capital contributions.
- Compilation of annual Financial Statements, review year-end working papers to ensure they are informative, indexed, cross referenced and can easily be understood and explained.
- Provide overall financial planning and projections for the County’s municipal financial operations.
- Bachelor’s degree and a CMA, CGA or CA and a minimum 8 years relevant accounting and supervisory experience;
- Strong organizational skills, written and verbal communication skills, extremely detail oriented with figures, excellent mathematical skills, the ability to work in a team environment or independently, and excellent computer skills.
- Leadership and interpersonal skills, able to mentor and coach with direct reports; strong public relation problem solving skills are required.
Sturgeon County: a diverse, active community that pioneers opportunities and promotes initiative while embracing rural lifestyles.
As an employer, we continually seek individuals with the spirit to make things happen.
Morinville, AB T8R 1L9
Toll Free: 1-866-939-9303
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their resume by mail, fax or email quoting the competition number #60-2017
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in Sturgeon County; however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Further information about this position can be obtained by calling :Ed Kaemingh at 780-939-8348.
Your personal information is collected under the authority of Section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act. Personal information you provide may be used for the purposes of determining whether you are suitable and qualified for a position with Sturgeon County. If you have any questions about the collection and use of this information, please contact the Sturgeon County FOIP Coordinator at the Sturgeon County Centre located at 9613-100 Street, Morinville, AB, T8R 1L9 or contact the FOIP Coordinator at 780-939-8366.