Senior Manager, Financial Services
Capital Regional District
An outcome-driven, high-performance organization respected for its commitment to open, collaborative processes, the CRD is located in beautiful Victoria, BC, which offers the unique charm of a historical capital city while providing a variety of world-class scenic and outdoor opportunities.
$123,916 - $145,784 per annum (2016 rates)
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Senior Manager, Financial Services has a mandate to advance the CRD in meeting its strategic and corporate goals through proactive financial leadership, service excellence and innovation. Through the provision of initiative and forward-thinking leadership in the accounting, budgeting, analysis processes and procedures of the department, the Senior Manager provides management excellence with primary responsibility for the day-to-day operations of all financial-related activities. The Senior Manager works closely with the CFO to ensure the overall integrity of financial management practices, procedures and policies for the organization. The Senior Manager is an integral part of the financial partnerships within the organization and the execution of expressed directions from the Chief Financial Officer. Continuous operational improvements, effective controls of revenue and expenditures, along with integrated policies are cornerstones of the position.
Key Accountabilities/Position Outcomes:
- Works in partnership with the CFO to manage and mitigate organizational risk related to the finance department through a deep understanding of strategic direction and the direct and indirect impacts of decisions.
- Provides leadership, input and decision making for the integrity of operational functioning of the division in identifying, developing and implementing organizational approved best practice financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems.
- Provides financial planning, custody of treasury, budgetary control of the financial services division, coordination of the budgets of other departments and drives key financial strategies and initiatives on behalf of the organization under overall authority of the CFO.
- Partners with departments to support financial reporting, accounting needs and service planning initiatives of the organization.
- Provides strategic financial input and leadership on decision making issues affecting the organization and brings best in class ideas to implement cost and process efficiencies on a continuous basis.
- Provides professional and expert financial advice and guidance of programs, initiatives and projects, and provides professional assistance and guidance in the interpretation and requirements of the legislation, letters patent and bylaws relevant to the financial mandate of the CRD.
- Drafts and interprets bylaws internally for new and existing services, working in partnership with other departments, staff, and elected officials.
- Works closely with other departments and senior staff in the development of their budgets and financial processes.
- Provides oversight to ensure accurate and timely reviews within a regulatory and compliance environment.
- Responsible for the leadership, management and engagement of employees and contractors within area of responsibility, including employment and labour relations matters involving: employee hiring, promotion, demotion, employee development and other personnel matters; discipline and discharge; representing management in the grievance procedure; input on behalf of management into labour relations matters, and representing management on committees; maintaining Employer confidentiality; and developing, supporting and implementing various corporate and legislated policies, procedures and practices.
Degree in Finance, Commerce, Business Administration, Public Administration, or related, supplemented by an Accounting Designation in any of the following: CPA, CA; CMA; or CGA plus 10-15 years senior level professional finance experience, including substantial experience in a leadership role demonstrating strategic systems thinking abilities. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Experience to include substantial experience in local government operations, including budgeting, accounting and treasury functions.
Role specific knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Expert experience in finance services, including providing advice and direction to senior staff and elected officials.
- Expert knowledge of relevant legislation (e.g. Local Government Act) pertaining to finance services.
- Excellent communication, customer service, public relations and partnering skills.
- Proven ability to standardize end to end business and accounting system controls and incorporate best practices.
- Must be a ddynamic and innovator leader that is team oriented with high level of integrity and business ethics and has proven themselves as a hands-on and results driven individual.
- Must be able to effectively establish and maintain working relationships with staff and all levels of management and the Board/Committees/Commissions.
- Ability to maximize contributions of the team to meet changing business needs.
- Ability to deal tactfully, courteously and effectively with the public, staff, and management.
- Ability to resolve conflicts without major disruption to work flows or interpersonal relations.Must be able to think “outside the box”.
- Ability to effectively influence and convince others to review alternatives, and even modify their position in order to reach a mutually beneficial outcome.
- Use good judgement to make decisions and take actions that move issues closer to closure.
- Demonstrate integrity, consistency, and support of CRD goals, objectives and policies.
- Ability to work independently, organize workload and set priorities. Flexible and willing to change priorities to meet constantly changing and unrelenting deadlines.
- Organize and maintain complex records and proceedings on confidential matters.
- Excellent strategic discretionary skills & customer service competencies.
- Innovative effective problem solving techniques to deal with significantly complex issues.
- Experience with ERP systems, specifically with SAP is desirable. Prior experience with ERP migrations and specifically financial reporting software implementations a plus.
Resumes with covering letter quoting competition number 17/177 will be accepted online at www.crd.bc.ca (“Careers”), or in the Human Resources Department, Capital Regional District, 625 Fisgard Street, Victoria, BC, V8W 2S6.
Review of applications received will commence on October 2, 2017 and you are encouraged to submit your application prior to this date for full consideration, however, the competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found or until otherwise advised on our website.
The Capital Regional District wishes to thank you for your interest and advises that only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted.