Supervisor Utility Operations
Rocky View County
Job Number: J0717-0458
Salary: $81,277.00 - $95,500.00/Year
The Supervisor provides leadership, coordination, collaboration and direction to ensure that services are provided to employees, residents and stakeholders in a timely, accurate, effective and efficient manner. The Supervisor works in conjunction with the Manager to develop short and long term strategies for the department.
- Supervise an operational area with an emphasis on efficiency, accuracy, quality and safety to ensure superior service.
- Identification of personnel requirements and coordination of employees and departmental work flow.
- Conduct annual performance reviews and provide on-going feedback and coaching.
- In conjunction with the Department Manager interview and select prospective employees and ensure employee on-boarding, orientation and training.
- Mentor and coach employees on performance and discuss disciplinary issues with Manager and Human Resources.
- Participate in the management of employee and relations in conjunction with Manager and Human Resources.
- Participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of department objectives, policies and procedures.
- Assist and/or develop budget forecast; monitoring and expenditures in conjunction with Department Manager.
- Participate in the updating and/or implementation and roll-out of policies, procedures, guidelines or protocols and communicate pertinent information to employees.
- Prepare for and attend regularly scheduled meetings of Council and committees as required.
- Attend and participate in inter-jurisdictional meetings and activities on an ad hoc basis.
- Act in a professional and responsible manner to protect the integrity of employees and the business of the County.
- Display a professional and ethical responsibility to protect privacy, use information appropriately, and maintain the confidentiality and security of all information related to employees, business and residents of Rocky View County.
- Ensure the operational area is compliant with all Rocky View County and Provincial Health and Safety and other regulatory requirements.
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders regarding water, wastewater and storm drainage issues.
- Interpret applicable Municipal & Provincial Standards, Policies, Regulations and Guidelines as required.
- Respond to inquiries related to the operation of County water, wastewater, and storm water systems.
- Create, modify and implement policies and procedures relevant to County utility operations as required.
- Secure and monitor contracts related to third party operations of County water, wastewater and storm water systems.
- Obtain and maintain Provincial Approvals and Licenses held by the County for water, wastewater and storm water systems.
- Interact regularly with consultants and contractors during on-site meetings and during inspections.
- Effectively communicate with consultants and contractors to ensure the County’s best interests are represented.
- Provide guidance and support to team members in complicated or highly controversial matters.
- Adhere to Health and Safety Legislation and Rocky View County safe work policies and procedures at all times, ensuring the protection and safety of self, co-workers, the public and the environment.
- Perform subordinates responsibilities from time-to-time, as necessary.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Be available after hours to respond to emergency situations.
The minimum level of education to perform this job competently is equivalent to post-secondary education (preferably at University level) along with a minimum of three years or more of related work experience and supervision of staff to competently perform this job. An equivalent combination of related experience and education may be considered.
• Requires demonstrated leadership skills, team building, conflict resolution, business/technical writing skills, coaching and mentoring abilities in addition to time management, organizational, problem solving and decision making ability.
• Possess a thorough knowledge base related to municipal water, wastewater and storm water utilities, engineering, and construction practices.
• Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team.
• Provide regular technical guidance, coaching and mentoring for employees.
• Direct the work of a small unit by assigning and scheduling work, training and disciplining employees, maintaining performance standards and checking results. Provide input on personnel requirements, employee performance feedback, and input on performance reviews.
• Diversified and complex work. Work sometimes focuses upon multiple instructions, objectives and policies in an often changing environment.
• Some decisions may be made on exceptions to accepted precedents or standards.
• Customer service contact involves ongoing persuasion, negotiation and accommodation to gain acceptance of activities and/or ideas. Requires tact, negotiation and judgement in order to obtain cooperation and approval of action.
• Work under occasional supervision. Plan and carry out details of procedures and methods to attain definite objectives. Take action in the application of organization policies and standards widely accepted.
• External contact requires exchanging more complex information. Communication requires tactful approach.
• Proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point and Access).
• Possess a valid class 5 driver’s license.
This opportunity will be posted until a suitable candidate is found. Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to www.rockyview.jobs.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.