Business Unit : Planning and Development Services
Division : Planning & Development
Location : Thorold, Ontario
Please read special application details below
Approximate Duration: 4 years
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada’s most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada’s most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario’s most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Commissioner Planning and Development, the Manager Special Projects is responsible for leadership of the special projects section of the planning department including research, preparation, project management and implementation of strategic planning projects, oversight of secondary plans, district plans for key and iconic development sites. Also oversees the land use policy process for the preparation and implementation of District Plans as directed by the Commissioner of Planning and Development, including attention to integration of master infrastructure planning, growth management and capital financing to ensure an integrated and streamlined approval process.
• Post-secondary degree in Planning.
• Master’s Degree in Planning is preferred.
• 10 years of progressively responsible relevant experience including experience in the preparation of and implementation of district plans, master plans or similar land use plans
• 5 years project management experience.
• Membership or eligibility in the Canadian Institute of Planners.
• Certification or eligibility as a Registered Professional Planner.
• Sound knowledge of the Planning Act, Environmental Assessment Act, Provincial policies and plans, Infrastructure planning and approval processes.
1. Provide land-use policy and project leadership to Regional Council, local municipalities, the NPCA, the development community and the broader public.
2. Leads policy planning initiatives with local municipal clients.
3. Manages people resource planning for the division or operating unit, determining ideal organizational structures, identifying desirable role and skill mix requirements and ensuring ongoing work quality and deliverability of results.
4. Develops, manages, and administers annual and multi-year Capital and Operating budgets for the operating unit ensuring support of Council’s objectives, financial transparency and accountability, monitoring budget adherence, identifying and explaining variances, and financial reporting is effectively managed in compliance with corporate financial policies. Ensure goods and services are acquired in accordance with the procurement policy. Authorize, and administer the acquisition of goods and services for the operating unit and direct reports in accordance with the procurement policy and procedures.
5. Manages relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
• Must maintain ability to travel in a timely manner to other offices, work locations or sites as authorized by the Corporation for business reasons.
• May be required to support emergency operations under the incident management structure, at the direction of the Emergency Operations Centre Director.
• Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
SPECIAL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: In a cover letter please indicate key accomplishments that you achieved in your work experience.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY! For more information on these exciting opportunities and to apply online, please visit our Careers page at www.niagararegion.ca . Application deadline is end of day August 10, 2017.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.