Senior Planner (1 Year Contract)
City of Vaughan
CITIZENS FIRST THROUGH SERVICE EXCELLENCE
We have an exciting Temporary Non-Unionized opportunity in the
Parks Development Department for an experienced and motivated individual
Senior Planner (1 Year Contract)
(JOB # J0517-0186)
As one of Southern Ontario’s fastest growing cities, with its mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is an in-demand place to live and work. Vaughan is considered one of Canada’s most family friendly cities with a dynamic and diverse population of over 300,000. With one of the top performing economies, a growing tourism industry and an enviable portfolio of recreational and cultural venues, this is the place where you want to be.
Reporting to the Manager of Parks & Open Space Planning, this position is responsible for supporting the planning and development of the City’s Park and Open Space system, responsibility encompasses planning and development applications, long range planning and policy development, Park and Open Space Studies, Reports and Needs Assessment; leads initiatives to meet diverse community and city wide needs; develops and coordinates major projects, strategic planning efforts, policy initiatives, comprehensive / master plans that enable and guide the overall development and delivery of the City’s Park and Open Space system.
Qualifications and experience:
- University Degree in Urban or Regional Planning, Recreation Planning, Landscape
Architecture or suitable equivalent.
- Membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and Ontario Professional Planners
Institute, and designation as a Registered Professional Planner (RPP) and/or membership in the Ontario Association of Landscape Architects (OALA) and Canadian Association of Landscape Architects (CSLA).
- Minimum of seven (7) years progressively more responsible municipal land use planning, recreation planning or park planning experience, including a minimum of two (2) years supervisory experience, preferably in a unionized environment.
- Excellent analytical, report writing, organization, research, project management and
- Familiarity and awareness of government and the political environment and relevant Federal and Provincial policy and legislation, specifically the Planning Act requirements and OMB procedures.
- Demonstrates experience in developing long range planning policies for parks and open space systems, evaluating park and recreation planning issues, as well as addressing requirements and key issues in parks and recreation policy development.
- Previous experience in working with official plans, secondary plans, zoning by-laws, areas of intensification and City-wide initiatives in parks and recreation planning.
- A valid Ontario ‘G’ driver’s license, in good standing, with access to a reliable vehicle for corporate use.
If you are an energetic person who is interested in bringing your knowledge and passion to the City of Vaughan, please click here to apply online by Wednesday, June 21, 2017.
Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.