Director, Employee & Labour Relations
City of Toronto
An exciting World-Class Labour Relations Challenge!
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, the City of Toronto is a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Human Resources, the Director, Employee & Labour Relations will be responsible for leadership excellence in building organizational capacity for collaborative and effective employee and labour relations in the Toronto Public Service.
- As Director, Employee & Labour Relations, you will lead the overall strategic direction of this section including developing and implementing strategic programs and initiatives that form the basis of the City's overall collective bargaining approach and strategy.
- With a proactive and solutions-oriented leadership style, you are adept at developing strategies to engage and lead the Employee and Labour Relations team, while building and nurturing collaborative relationships with the City’s diverse division leaders and bargaining agents.
- You will be able to manage effective relationship building through labour/management committees, issues management, negotiation, grievance and arbitration processes with a talented and committed Labour Relations team.
- You believe it is important to promote and encourage a positive and functional labour relations environment through labour management committees, joint employer/union initiatives and the development and implementation of sound and innovative labour and employee relations’ services, policies and programs that align with the organization’s Human Resources strategies, goals and objectives.
- A champion of HR programs and initiatives, you empower the labour relations leadership team to be effective ambassadors for HR.
- Through your collaborative leadership style, you foster a culture of engagement and service at all levels.
- As a trusted advisor with superior negotiation skills, you will contribute to the development and execution of the corporate strategic vision by advising Council, the City Manager and City senior management on all labour relations matters.
- An experienced, proactive and strategic senior Labour Relations professional, you have extensive senior level experience in large, complex, multi-divisional, unionized environments.
- An advocate for continuous improvement and innovation, you provide leadership by supporting and fostering an environment of continuous improvement and enabling managers through progressive change and performance management processes as well as sustainable innovative technological solutions.
- The superior communications, negotiation, and mediation skills that you bring to this role are complemented by a strong sense of personal accountability and political astuteness.
- The successful candidate will be an expert in the field of labour relations with extensive knowledge of relevant Canadian HR and Employee/Labour relations legislation and experience with negotiations, collective agreement administration, case law application, grievance handling and investigations. A commitment to diversity, human rights, accessibility and equity is essential.
To apply to this key leadership position, submit your resume, in confidence to:
401 Bay St, Suite 1400,
Toronto ON M5H 2Y4
Application Deadline: Monday, April 17, 2017
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy
, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.