City of Kingston
Kingston’s vision of being a smart, livable 21st century city is fast becoming reality. History and innovation thrive in our dynamic city located along the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, an easy drive from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, in the heart of eastern Ontario. With a stable and diversified economy that includes global corporations, innovative startups and all levels of government, Kingston’s high quality of life offers access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
File #: J0317-0278
Type of Position: Full-Time
Job Code: NU127
Salary Range: $76,622 – $104,613 / year
Closing Date: Monday, April 17, 2017
The Manager, Airport is responsible for providing leadership in this business area in alignment with corporate strategies, plans, and priorities. The Manager supports strategic planning, budget development, work planning, human resources, staff development and change management and collaborates with internal and external stakeholders to build working relationships that are mutually beneficial. The Manager develops and implements strategies to enhance passenger air services and strategies to facilitate the development and leasing of airport lands to meet community and stakeholder needs in support of city and regional economic development.
- Establish tactical plans, objectives, and metrics that contribute to the strategic priorities for the City of Kingston.
- Responsible for managing overall airport operations and pursuing business development.
- Manage the operations, maintenance and administration of the airport and seek to optimize revenues and increase its commercial viability.
- Develop policies, procedures, and work programs to ensure the safety and viability of the airport, both in the short and long term. Manage the Airport Safety Management System and the Airport Security Plan as required under federal legislation.
- Review and provide advice on proposed development projects building constraints within the areas covered under the federal Airport Zoning Regulations.
- Provide oversight and management of airport construction projects, ensuring compliance with environmental and other mandated programs.
- Research, write and apply to potential grant opportunities related to airport matters.
- Address issues and reallocate resources as required in order to ensure the achievement of annual plans and objectives. Ensure, under normal and emergency situations, the safe, efficient, secure, and cost-effective operation and maintenance of the airport facilities.
- Lead, promote, model, and support a culture of health, safety, well-being, and respect. Ensure compliance with TP312 Aerodrome standards. Ensure adequate training levels for all staff.
- Ensure that the perspectives of all airport customers (public, passenger, tenants and partners) are a driving force behind decisions and activities. Implement service practices that meet customers’ and the corporation’s needs.
- Address issues and respond to complaints and inquiries regarding the airport and its operations to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of goals. Liaise with all levels of government, agencies, commercial airlines, aviation organizations, and community and business stakeholders to identify and work toward addressing common issues.
- Facilitate the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace.
- Engage team members in developing and committing to action plans that target specific competencies, skills, or knowledge related to performance improvement or to prepare for success in new responsibilities.
- University degree in Business Administration, Commerce, or a related field.
- 5 years of leadership experience in the aviation industry, preferably at an airport.
- Airside Vehicle Operators Permit obtained within one month of employment.
- Certified member of the International Association of Airport Executives, or willingness to obtain within one year of employment. Accreditation as an Accredited Airport Executive (A.A.E.) would be an asset.
- Knowledge of all aspects of aviation and airport procedures and practices.
- Valid class “G” Ontario driver’s license.
- Required to obtain and maintain satisfactory CPIC (Criminal Record Check) at own expense.
- Ability to work outside regular business hours as needed.
- Must demonstrate the corporate competencies: Customer Focus, Results Oriented, Integrity and Teamwork.
Skills, Abilities, Work Demands:
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence others.
- Ability to build trust and credibility in a politically sensitive role with competing demands and priorities.
- Strong computer skills including MS Office.
- Advanced problem solving skills with the ability to negotiate, mediate and resolve conflicts.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to coach, motivate and develop employees.
- Strong knowledge of municipal policies, procedures, by-laws and applicable legislation and regulations.
Please apply to Career Opportunities at: www.cityofkingston.ca/Careers. Your resume must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements of the position. Please upload to your profile, any educational Degrees, Diplomas and/or Certificates that are relevant and required for the position you are applying to.
We thank all of those who apply; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The City of Kingston is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.