City of Burlington
Roads and Parks Maintenance Department
Job Number: RPM-29-17
Employee Group: CUPE 44
Employment Status: Full Time Permanent
Reporting to the Supervisor of Forestry, the Arborist provides day to day care and maintenance of trees in order to keep the city’s urban forest in a healthy and safe condition.
- Climbing, pruning and removing city owned trees from the ground or using an aerial device
- Operating specialized forestry equipment such as chainsaws, wood chippers, aerial devices and industrial vehicles
- Maintaining equipment including sharpening saws and pruners, inspecting ropes and harnesses
- Planning, setting up and securing work sites and providing traffic control when required
- Providing assessments, inspections and proper identification of trees and conditions
- Cleaning up job sites by raking, sweeping and disposing of wood material
- Candidates must have a valid DZ class license with a clean driving record. Extensive experience operating related equipment such as trucks with aerial device, brush chipper, climbing spurs, pole pruners, brace and bit, safety harness, etc.
- A thorough understanding of standard arboricultural practices and Arborist Safe Work Practices is required.
- The successful applicant must possess strong initiative to determine the extent of work to be performed.
- At least three years of equivalent arboriculture work experience, along with a college diploma in arboriculture or equivalent.
- The successful candidate must be ISA or MTCU certified Arborist or equivalent.
- Mobile crane license (0-8 ton) is considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of GIS, Work order management systems is considered an asset.
- Strong customer focus and self-motivation is necessary to be successful in this role.
- This position works a Monday to Friday day shift schedule.
- The successful candidate must be available to work overtime as needed or respond in the event of an emergency
Hourly Rate: The rate of pay for this position is $25.13 per hour – 90% of the hourly rate ($27.92) for 12 months after which the hourly rate will be 95% of the hourly rate for 12 additional months) There is a six month probationary period.
How to Apply:
To apply, please visit www.burlington.ca/careers and click on “View Jobs”. Posting Close Date: Wednesday, March 1, 2017.
Please note that applications are only accepted online. If you require assistance, please contact Human Resources at 905-335-7602.