Manager, Financial Planning
Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
The Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo (which includes Fort McMurray and nine other communities) is a key economic growth engine for both the province of Alberta and for Canada. Ranking among the largest municipalities in North America, by area, the Municipality is a vibrant, diverse and progressive community.
If you are an outdoors person this is the place you want to be. Take some time to enjoy our open spaces, world-leading recreation facilities or outdoor sports fields. Bike the Birchwood Trails in the summer and ski them in the winter. Wood Buffalo National Park offers a variety of visitor experiences — from short strolls on secluded forested trails to rugged canoe trips on wide meandering rivers of the boreal plains.
Reporting to the Director, Financial Services, the Manager, Financial Planning is responsible for overseeing all activities of the Financial Planning and Reporting areas and leading the municipal-wide analytical financial functions.
Key responsibilities include:
- Providing daily oversight and direction to the Financial Planning team;
- Fostering a productive and efficient work environment through mentorship and teamwork;
- Directing and managing the decentralized model of providing financial planning/analytical services;
- Taking a lead role in developing and implementing innovative and practical approaches to departmental initiatives; and
- Leading Fiscal Impact Model and Fiscal Management Strategy update process which includes reviewing scenario assumptions, review analysis of the results for reasonableness, and preparation of presentation to the users (Senior Leadership Team, Managers, and external parties such as Industry).
- Managing the preparation of the Annual Consolidated Financial Statements and Quarterly Financial Reports.Taking a lead in managing the annual external audits.
Who We Are:
As an Employer, we value our people, working together, accountability and integrity. We thrive on innovative ideas that offer our employees exciting opportunities for professional development and growth. From new graduates to seasoned professionals, from adventure seekers to those seeking to raise their family, the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo is a dynamic place to work, live and play.
Who You Are:
Planner ● Analyst ● Mentor:
- You are a detail person - analytical - a critical thinker.
- You know how to negotiate and how to bring people together to achieve common goals.
- Your colleagues appreciate your advice, support and recommendations.
- Your high emotional intelligence, interpersonal and communication skills help build effective working relationships.
- You can effectively navigate difficult situations while maintaining a spirit of collaboration and achievement of common goals.
- You have operated with both union and non-union staff and have an appreciation for the work done in the public sector.
- You have been working in an accounting role for 10 years in a progressive capacity, with a thorough knowledge of budgeting, forecasting and a strong technical knowledge of Consolidated Financial Statement Preparation.
- You have demonstrated leadership skills in a management role for 5 years and are aCMA, CA or CGA.
A recent and detailed job description is available from the consultant. Please submit: a cover letter, a resume, and three (3) references by email to: Bruce Malcolm at email@example.com. Toll free 1-888-447-5910 ext. 727. Closing Date: Friday, March 10 2017.