Supervisor lII – Forestry (Exempt)
City of St Catharines
Parks Recreation and Culture Services
To supervise, organize, coordinate, coach and mentor staff within the Forestry Operations division
- Plan, supervise, direct, coordinate and schedule the care and maintenance of the urban forest and related arboricultural services;
- Determine requirements of staffing levels and equipment;
- Organize and assign all Forestry related duties, including:
- Trimming and removal of trees on City boulevards, City parks, cemeteries, watercourses and other municipal property
- Emergency work (storm damage) i.e. removing dangerous limbs/trees, removing debris
- Stump grinding and reinstatement operations
- Develop and implement training material, S.O.P., inform employees of, and enforce departmental procedures;
- Provide oversight of private contractors hired by the City; Contract administration
- Participate in various committees such as the Health & Safety Committee and Community group committees (e.g. Clean City Committee, Urban Forestry Committee, etc.);
- Coordinate project requirements, reports, contracts, budgets, tenders and agreements;
- Must be an active participant on the departmental management team with the ability to perform in all aspects of Municipal Services;
- Ensure compliance with corporate policies, protocols and workplace rules, as well as provincial legislation requirements, including the Occupational Health & Safety Act and ensure compliance with personal protective equipment;
- Participate in the selection and orientation of new employees and the rating of employee performance, including progressive disciplinary procedures;
- Respond to and deal with public, businesses, other city departments and division requests;
- Perform other similar and related duties, as required
- A Community College Diploma in Arboriculture or the equivalent in education and experience and a good knowledge of field application of the technology of the function assigned.
- Previous experience in a supervisory, management position.
- Previous experience working in a unionized environment and demonstrated understanding of Collective Bargaining Agreements.
- A personality suited for developing, leading, and managing staff, preferably but not necessarily supplemented by formal training in management, with evidence of leadership skills.
- Excellent organizational skills to cope with constantly changing priorities.
- Good oral communications skills and competence in written communications.
- A self-starter, with an appreciation of the principles of public service, and willingness to work unscheduled hours.
- Qualifying licences or certificates required include I.H.S.A., Working at Heights training, Utility Line Clearing Technician Proficiency Certification and current First Aid training
- Valid Arborist and Utility Arborist Certificate of Qualification issued by the Ontario College of Trades and associated certificates of apprenticeship.
- A valid DZ license
- Sound knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Municipal services act and all other relevant legislation
- Computer software proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel), MS Outlook etc.
- Familiar with the guidelines and requirements of a procurement policy
Pay Group 6: Minimum $68,664 annually; Maximum $85,828 annually (2017 Rates)
Posting closes: Friday, March 3, 2017 at 4:00PM.
Applications will be accepted online at www.stcatharines.ca/jobs. Please reference the recruitment number 2017-101 in your cover letter. Applications received any other way will not be accepted.
The City of St. Catharines is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Division to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process.