Building Maintenance Worker
Progressive. Collaborative. Accountable. Draw on your passion. Shape our community.
Progressive and collaborative, with a clear, long-term vision. We value employees’ contributions and inspire excellence. We are driven by a desire to help shape and serve the growing community in which we live and work.
Job Id#: 20358
Community and Health Services Department
Housing Services Branch
Location: Newmarket, Ontario. This is a Union position.
Scheduled Weekly Hours: As Required and Varied; Operational Hours: 24/7, Casual/On-Call
Salary: $23.95 - $26.03 per hour
Reporting to the Supervisor, LTC Maintenance and Security, is responsible for performing minor general repairs and ensuring the safety of the residents by checking, testing and reporting on the conditions of a variety of equipment found within the Long Term Care facilities, in accordance with the standards established through the Ministry of Health and LTC, LTC Health Act and Department policies and procedures.
- Successful completion of a Secondary School Diploma or approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum two (2) years repair experience in an institutional, commercial or multi-unit residential setting.
- Satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Checks (PVSC).
- Valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s license and reliable vehicle for use on corporate business.
- Experience and technical skills to undertake minor plumbing, flooring, carpentry, door hardware and drywall repairs and minor electrical work such as plugs, switches, lights, etc.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation such as the Long Term Care Health Act, Ontario Fire Code, WHMIS and Occupational Health and Safety Act as related to environmental and maintenance services.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer service, communication, team work, initiative/self-management, accountability, flexibility and adaptability.
- Demonstrated basic computer literacy utilizing MS Office software applications and the ability to receive and respond to emails and input maintenance work requisitions.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills to work within a diverse community and ability to deal empathetically with residents, family members, etc., to contribute to their well-being.
- Ability to work effectively independently or as a part of a team.
- Ability to read, write and follow written and verbal instructions in English.
- Physical ability to lift and carry objects up to 50 lbs, to withstand long periods of walking, standing and frequent bending and twisting, work in adverse weather conditions and able to work at elevated levels using a ladder.
- Ability to use a variety of maintenance tools and equipment.
- Ability to set priorities and organize workload to ensure continuing productivity.
- Ability to work outside regular business hours, as required.
Please apply on-line at www.york.ca by Monday, February 27, 2017, quoting competition #: 20358. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For additional information on The Regional Municipality of York, please visit the above-mentioned website.