Manager III, Engineering (Rapid Transit)
City of London
Environmental & Engineering Services
Position Type: Temporary, Full-time (Multi-year Contract up to 10 years)
File #: M-74-16E(B)
The Corporation of the City of London strives to foster a workplace in which all individuals maximize their potential, regardless of their differences. We are committed to attracting, engaging, developing and celebrating exceptional people in public service who are representative of our community.
Reports to the Rapid Transit Project Director. Provides project management expertise in design and construction of Rapid Transit with responsibility for planning, coordinating, and controlling related engineering operations.
- Participate in defining project rationale, determining project delivery and procurement methodologies, examining alternatives, determining implementation methods for alternatives, identifying impacts and mitigation measures, and managing and monitoring the construction phase.
- Manage and supervise assigned personnel: responsible for employee development and promotion, performance appraisals, salary adjustments, and conduct matters.
- Coordinate through discussions and meetings the interactions between Divisions to ensure that project plans and objectives are met.
- Establish, control and monitor overall costs with respect to operating and capital budgets; schedule coordination/milestone attainment.
- Organize and manage project teams, personnel and contractors assigned to engineering and construction aspects of the Rapid Transit project.
- Manage the environmental assessment process for the Rapid Transit system including final scoping and cost estimating.
- Administer contracts for Rapid Transit engineering projects; liaise and negotiate with consultants, contractors, and developers regarding engineering and related matters relative to contracts, agreements and standards.
- Develop and approve engineering standards, methods and procedures, performance, quality and maintenance standards.
- Supervise personnel in the development of in-house designs, preparation of contract documents, and tender processes.
- Resolve logistical and engineering issues that may delay or impede project implementation.
- Implement an effective construction traffic management program and coordinate as required with other City programs.
- Represent the department in meetings and task forces involving city personnel, emergency services, consultants, and local utilities.
- In conjunction with the Project Director, prepare reports and reviews for Committee and Council.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent.
- Completion of the Project Management Professional program is an asset.
Specialized Training and Licenses:
- Registered Professional Engineer, Province of Ontario.
- Eight to ten (8-10) years of increasingly responsible experience in Civil Engineering construction and project management, including a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in large-scale construction projects and progressively responsible supervisory experience.
- Thorough knowledge of all Federal, Provincial, and Municipal regulations and standards related to the design, development, and provision of Rapid Transit services.
- Focused analytical and strategic thinking and issue resolution skills, combined with a commitment to innovation and collaboration.
- Facilitation, negotiation, public relations, and presentation skills.
- Ability to travel to various locations.
How to Apply:
Please Note: The closing date to apply is Tuesday, March 14, 2017 and all applicants must apply online at the City of London website www.london.ca. For a complete job description please visit the City of London website and click on http://bit.ly/2kt05uu for Current Job Openings.
Please note following the interview stage, official transcripts as well as a criminal record check will be required prior to moving to the next stage in the selection process. We appreciate all applications, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of London is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.