Term Legislative Manager
City of Cold Lake
With a population of approximately 15 800, Cold Lake is a city that offers a wealth of excitement, adventure and entertainment for all in any season. Hugging the southern shores of Alberta’s seventh largest lake, this recreational paradise can be accessed in summer and winter through western Canada’s largest inland marina. New housing, excellent educational facilities, a multipurpose recreational facility and a college are just a few of the highlights that truly make Cold Lake a community of choice.
The City of Cold Lake is seeking an enthusiastic individual to assume the responsibilities of Legislative Manager within the Corporate Services Department for a full-time, twelve-month term.
- Reporting to the General Manager of Corporate Services, the Legislative Manager is responsible for supervising legislative staff who together oversee City of Cold Lake Records Management and Retention, Contracts, and Bylaw and Policy (Legislative) Management, as well as Risk Management.
- The Legislative Manager is also responsible for providing advice and guidance on a variety of legislative, legal, and administrative matters relating to areas of responsibility.
- The incumbent must conduct research, perform analysis, prepare documents and provide coordination of duties that support the business processes of the City of Cold Lake.
- The Legislative Manager responds to FOIP requests and provides the delivery of FOIP training to all City of Cold Lake employees.
- This position is also responsible for leading the Municipal Election and the Municipal Census.
- This position is expected to work in a confidential capacity in matters related to legal and labour relations.
- The greatest challenge of the position is the successful management of various projects with interruptions and deadlines.
- The incumbent must demonstrate initiative and have the ability to remain open-minded and positive while adapting to changes based on new information or direction.
- The incumbent must demonstrate a strong ethical standard and integrity, be able to deal with confidential and/or sensitive information, respect client confidentiality, and maintain a high standard of professionalism and diplomacy in carrying out the various responsibilities of the Legislative Manager.
- The preferred qualifications for this position include a degree in Business, Political Studies, Government Studies, Policy/Bylaw, or Paralegal or Legal undergraduate degree.
- Candidates with experience with records management software and a SharePoint environment will be considered.
- The preferred candidate will have strong organizational and computer skills, as well as excellent communication skills, superior interpersonal skills, and an ability to work in a team and open environment.
- A keen interest in mentoring team members is required.
- A firm commitment to confidentiality and a strong customer service focus are also required.
- Applicants should have a minimum three years’ experience in an Administrative, Legislative or Paralegal role.
- Preference will be given to candidates with previous Municipal Government experience.
The City of Cold Lake will pay a competitive salary. Details of the compensation package will be discussed during an interview.
The City of Cold Lake thanks all applicants; however only those short-listed for an interview will be contacted. This competition will remain open until Friday, February 26, 2017. Submit resumes with cover letter to:
City of Cold Lake
5513 – 48 Avenue
Cold Lake, AB T9M 1A1
Facsimile: (780) 594-4041
Or, apply online at: www.coldlake.com