Director of Fire and Emergency Services
Township of North Huron
The Township of North Huron is located in Midwestern Ontario and is a 30 minute drive to the shores of Lake Huron, Ontario’s West Coast. With a mix of urban, rural, and agricultural communities, North Huron has a population of almost 5000 residents and is a regional centre for residents living in neighbouring communities. We are seeking a highly motivated individual for the full-time position of Director of Fire and Emergency Services.
The Fire Department of North Huron (FDNH) consists of two full-time staff including the Director and the Emergency Services Training Centre (ESTC) Program Coordinator, one part-time Fire Prevention Officer, and forty-four dedicated Volunteer Firefighters operating from two stations (Blyth and Wingham). In addition to providing fire protection and emergency response for North Huron, we have agreements with three neighbouring municipalities to provide fire suppression services to their residents. For more information about the FDNH or our Community, please visit our website: www.northhuron.ca
Reporting directly to the CAO, the successful candidate will be responsible for the overall administration and operation of the Fire Department of North Huron (FDNH); the Emergency Services Training Centre (ESTC); and community/municipal emergency management.
Desired qualifications include:
- Minimum of ten years of experience in fire and rescue services including five years of progressively responsible leadership experience;
- Ontario Fire College certification and knowledge in all areas of fire services, including fire prevention, public education, investigations, code enforcement, communications, mechanical, fire suppression and emergency response;
- Knowledge of fire prevention methods and of the Fire Prevention and Protection Act and Part 3 of the Ontario Building Code required.Certification as a Fire Prevention Officer will be considered an asset.
- Degree/diploma in business, public administration or related field would be an asset (acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered);
- Demonstrated ability to direct, guide, and evaluate the delivery of fire protection services;
- Working knowledge of the existing legislative framework related to municipal operations; administers and enforces acts such as the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, Ontario Fire Code,Occupational Health and Safety Act, Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act;
- Proven Leadership qualities with the aptitude to coach and mentor a volunteer workforce.
- Strong understanding of Training and a background in Adult Education or Fire Service training programs.NFPA Certification as a Fire Service Instructor I or equivalent will be considerate an asset.
- Demonstrated strong administrative skills, development and management of capital and operating budgets, departmental reporting, supervisory experience;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Demonstrated advanced computer skills with Microsoft Applications;
- Valid MTO Class DZ Ontario Driver’s License.
Position Description including salary range is currently under review.
If you are interested in joining our team, please apply by email only and include your cover letter and resume. Email to email@example.com
Apply before the closing date: 4:00PM on Monday, February 27 2017. Please direct any inquiries regarding this exciting opportunity to:
FDNH Fire Chief Recruitment
Phil Eagleson - Chair of Hiring Committee
Township of North Huron
The Township of North Huron is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. Only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. Information is collected solely for the purpose of job selection under the provisions of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.