Zoning Plans Examiner
City of Vaughan
CITIZENS FIRST THROUGH SERVICE EXCELLENCE
As one of Southern Ontario’s fastest growing cities, with its mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is an in-demand place to live and work. Vaughan is considered one of Canada’s most family friendly cities with a dynamic and diverse population of over 300,000. With one of the top performing economies, a growing tourism industry and an enviable portfolio of recreational and cultural venues, this is the place where you want to be.
Department: Building Standards
Job Id #: J0117-0008
- Responsible and accountable for examining, researching and calculating architectural drawings, site plans, and other documentation submitted for building permit submissions including the accuracy of information and accountability subdivision agreements, condominium registrations; ensuring compliance is adhered to within all sections of the zoning by-law and other applicable laws within requested time frame.
- Documents and provides interpretation, guidance, and recommendations to other City departments, key stakeholders, business and legal professionals, citizens, development community, planning consultants, architects and engineers, utility companies and Council pertaining to zoning by-laws, site plan and subdivision agreements, development applications, official plan amendments, part lot control applications, Committee of Adjustment minor variance, consent and severance applications.
- Initiates and attends pre-development consultation meetings with key stakeholders, citizens and other professionals.
Qualifications and Experience:
- University Degree in a Planning related discipline or suitable equivalent.
- Possesses a minimum one (1) or combination of the following Certifications:
- Certified Technologist in the Association of Architectural Technologists of Ontario (AATO)
- Ontario Association for Applied Architectural Sciences (OAAAS)
- Member of the Ontario Building Officials Association (OBOA)
- Member of the Ontario’s Professional Planners Institute (OPPI)
- Minimum of five (5) years’ related municipal experience including three (3) years related zoning experience.
- Working knowledge of municipal by-law and municipal processes and planning principles, legal procedures, specifically interpretation of zoning by-laws, applicable statutes, legal documentation and regulations including the TRCA (Toronto Region Conservation Authority) and the Ontario Building Code.
- Experienced and knowledgeable in reading /interpreting architectural, elevation, cross-section and site plan drawings and legally binding agreements, including various plan documents and the ability to read the points of elevation and grade changes on site plan/lot grading plans and other documentation. (retaining wall heights, reverse driveway slopes and height of porches)
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact and communicate effectively (oral and written) and confidently at all levels of the organization, with key stakeholders, citizens, business professionals, within a team environment.
- Excellent analytical, report writing, grammatical and problem solving skills coupled with effective organizational skills, and ability to meet deadlines and work efficiently under pressure.
- Knowledge of, and demonstrated ability in, the city’s core competencies and relevant
- Proficient keyboarding, records management skills and a thorough working knowledge of the database and word-processing software applications.
- Possesses a valid Ontario “G” drivers’ license in good standing, with access to a reliable vehicle for corporate use.
- Availability to work flexible hours to accommodate Committee of Adjustment evening meetings, as required.
The City of Vaughan has an employee-focused culture with an emphasis on health and wellness, work-life balance, and family benefits.
If you are an energetic person who is interested in bringing your knowledge and passion to the City of Vaughan, please click here to apply online by Wednesday, February 22, 2017.
Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.