Chief Operating Officer
Columbia Basin Trust
About Columbia Basin Trust
Be our leader in broadband development in the Columbia Basin. The Trust is looking for a Chief Operating Officer with the ability to impact broadband development, uptake and utilization in the Columbia Basin. Step into a senior leadership role where you can make a meaningful impact to the quality of life, well-being and prosperity of Columbia Basin residents and communities.
Live the mountain culture and work in the Kootenay region of southeastern British Columbia, where you can have a balance of rural and urban lifestyles. Build on your track record of successful large-scale, complex projects, share your senior business management experience and financial management acumen, and reside in one of the best places on earth. We’re in the business of supporting community development.
Columbia Basin Trust invests in opportunities that generate financial returns, funding its operation and strategic initiatives that address community and regional priorities. The Trust recognizes that to be successful, the region needs better high-speed connectivity and needs to explore how to best use that connectivity to further social, economic and environmental well-being.
High-speed Internet connects citizens, enables businesses to remain competitive in a global economy, enhances quality of life, supports education, helps attract and retain youth, and augments the delivery of health and government services. The Trust has tasked Columbia Basin Broadband Corporation (CBBC), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Trust, with achieving this, and provides funding for CBBC’s activities. To view CBBC’s current strategic plan click here.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is responsible for providing leadership and direction to the Trust’s Broadband Team and advancing social and economic development in the Basin through the development and use of broadband. The primary responsibilities include developing and implementing specific business strategies, and managing the operations of Columbia Basin Broadband Corporation (CBBC), the Trust’s wholly-owned subsidiary.
Responsible for the Strategic Management and Operations of the CBBC network:
- Leads the development and implementation of the Trust’s strategy to improve broadband in the Columbia Basin.
- Leads business negotiations related to CBBC operations and strategies.
- Oversees the management and operation of the CBBC network.
- Ensures network services are provided in accordance with requirements for performance, reliability, availability and security.
Responsible for Business Development:
- Leads and facilitates social and economic development initiatives that use the CBBC network.
- Explores and pursues opportunities to connect and expand the network.
- Explore opportunities to generate revenue earned from the CBBC network.
- Explore and pursues commercial, business development and education opportunities created by the network and the services available.
- Anticipates future requirements and trends and ensures CBBC’s capabilities meet the current and future needs of CBBC.
Responsible for Relationship Management:
- Works with communities and rural areas to interconnect them to the network.
- Builds and maintains close relationships with multiple stakeholders, including different levels of government, community development organizations and the private sector.
- Represents the Trust to local, regional, provincial, federal and industry stakeholders.
- Oversees all community engagement related to the Trust’s Broadband initiative.
- Maintains strong relationships with partners, customers and suppliers.
Responsible for Financial Management:
- Oversees all financial and corporate planning activities, including budgeting, forecasting and financial management.
- Ensures that relevant financial data is presented to the Board of Directors.
- Recommends and implements financial pricing strategies, policies and standards.
- Compares financial performance with leading industry indices and performance measures and reports regularly on CBBC financial performance.
Responsible for General Management:
- Represents the Trust’s values at all times.
- Oversees asset procurement, monitoring, and management of insurance.
- Ensures all risks related to the construction and network operations are identified and assessed and reviewed and mitigation strategies have been identified.
- Oversees legal activities, and the development and execution of contracts, leases, and other legal documents and agreements.
- Coordinates governance matters relating to the Board of Directors.
Provides Leadership and Guidance to Broadband Team consisting of:
- Chief Technology Officer
- Network Infrastructure Manager
- Business Support Analyst
- Business Services Coordinator
Performs other related duties as required.
Qualifications & Experience:
- A minimum of a post-secondary degree in finance, accounting, business administration, information technology OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- A minimum of tenyears of operational experience, including a minimum of 5 -7 years’ experience in a senior business management role.
- Strong leadership experience, financial management acumen and a successful track record of execution of large scale complex projects.
- Broadband experience is considered an asset.
- Strong organization, interpersonal and communication skills to effectively deal with multiple stakeholders, including different levels of government, community development organizations and the private sector
- Ability to adapt to evolving circumstances in communities and respond to community needs in an effective and respectful manner.
- Ability to focus on and meet client or customer needs, with innovative and creative solutions
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
Interested candidates who wish to learn more about the position can click here for the job description. Please direct resumes and cover letters, along with salary expectations, to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 pm on Thursday, March 2, 2017.