Regulatory Policy Analyst
City of Vaughan
CITIZENS FIRST THROUGH SERVICE EXCELLENCE
As one of Southern Ontario’s fastest growing cities, with its mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is an in-demand place to live and work. Vaughan is considered one of Canada’s most family friendly cities with a dynamic and diverse population of over 300,000. With one of the top performing economies, a growing tourism industry and an enviable portfolio of recreational and cultural venues, this is the place where you want to be.
We have an exciting Full Time Unionized opportunity in the By-Law & Compliance, Licensing & Permit Services Department for an experienced and motivated individual.
Job Id #: J0117-0552
- This is a key position within the Department’s management team, providing policy, planning and business guidance and support to achieve departmental/corporate goals and strategic initiatives.
- A primary responsibility is the development of regulatory policy for the City, including framing the policy problem, managing all aspects of stakeholder engagement (including formal consultations), conducting comparative research, developing options, recommending a policy response that includes a complete business case that ties into the City’s budgetary objectives, writing reports and making presentations to City Council, and leading the implementation process leading up to full operationalization.
- This position liaises with all levels of the organization, including Senior Management and members of City Council, and ensures that they are optimally engaged in the policy process.
Qualifications and Experience:
- To be considered for this role, you must possess a 4-year, Honors Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Law, or a suitable equivalent directly relevant to the job function, with a strong preference for a Master’s Degree in any of the foregoing disciplines.
- In addition, you must have a minimum of 5 years’ experience working in the development of public policy, or suitable equivalent combination of education, professional credentials and experience, with a strong preference for such experience to be in the municipal context and regulatory policy field.
- The following certifications would be a highly desirable asset: Project Management Professional (PMP) through the Project Management Institute; Accredited Municipal Professional (AMP) or Certified Municipal Officer (CMO) through the Association of Municipal Clerks, Treasurers of Ontario; Certified Training and Development Professional (CTDP) through the Institute for Performance and Learning.
Furthermore, you should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Considerable project management experience with ability to balance coinciding and competing priorities, develop and implement strategies, business plans and solutions in a major public sector organization, and having a working familiarity with the Project Management Professionals (PMP) body of knowledge.
- Ability to undertake a policy project from inception to implementation, including issue identification, comparative research, stakeholder management, option generation, financial analysis and report writing.
- Ability to work and coordinate with corporate Offices and operational Departments to ensure a smooth implementation of policies, including the formulation of SOPs and related documentation, the roll-out of a communication plan, and the delivery of information sessions and/or training.
- Considerable experience in qualitative and quantitative research and analysis methodologies, formulation of options and recommendations, and the evaluation of policies, procedures, and training.
- Experience and/or formal training in strategic planning with an ability to operationalize corporate strategic initiatives through departmental strategy development and implementation, including being able to assess and manage risk and evaluate and manage performance.
- Demonstrated ability to build high levels of credibility within diverse work groups through effective communication, including the use of persuasive written and verbal communication skills and engagement strategies, coupled with the ability to develop productive and sustainable partnerships with a range of key internal and external stakeholders in order to facilitate change.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively deal with immediate demands, stressful situations, emerging issues, irate clients, interest groups and other stakeholders, and to effectively advocate in the interests of the Department and Corporate mandates through effective communication and professionalism.
- High level of critical thinking and initiative, demonstrated through the exercise of sound judgment, the resolution of complex problems, and the application of a constructive and principled approach that considers the most relevant factors and strikes an optimal balance between short and long-term impacts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including compelling presentation, negotiation and stakeholder relations skills, coupled with an ability to facilitate and manage meetings and delivering training sessions.
- Demonstrated understanding of the provincial legislation that underlies the powers and authorities of municipalities, including but not limited to the Municipal Act, the Building Code Act, the Planning Act, and the Provincial Offences Act.
- Knowledge of, and demonstrated ability in, the city’s core competencies and relevant functional competencies.
The City of Vaughan has an employee-focused culture with an emphasis on health and wellness, work-life balance, and family benefits.
If you are an energetic person who is interested in bringing your knowledge and passion to the City of Vaughan, please click here to apply online by Friday, March 3, 2017.
Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.