Chief Financial Officer
City of Dawson
6 MONTH TERM POSITION with possibility of extension
Reporting to the CAO, the Chief Financial Officer is accountable for the financial affairs of the City of Dawson. Being an officer of the municipality and manager of the finance department staff, this position is responsible for carrying out pertinent statutory requirements under the Yukon Municipal Act . The position proactively assists in the development of polices pertaining to financial planning and management; assumes the responsibility for the effectiveness of key financial resources and programs, investments, account reconciliations and internal audit; plan, organizes and supervises budget preparation and implementation; prepares year-end working papers for auditors; and other related and assigned duties.
Please submit your resume clearly demonstrating how you meet the following qualifications:
Education and Skills:
- Professional accounting designation with good working knowledge of local government accounting and budgeting principles;
- 5 years related experience in a local government setting with the last 2 to 3 years in a supervisory or management position or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Strong auditing skills;
- Knowledge of the responsibilities of local government under applicable Yukon legislation;
- Ability to function within an MS Office networked environment with experience using local government oriented accounting and budgeting software;
- Knowledge of Diamond/Great Plaines software would be an asset;
- Managing the accounts, budgets and financial control activities to meet the information needs of management, government, and statutory bodies;
- Managing the annual Financial Statement preparation, audit, asset recording and control;
- Preparing annual operating and long-term capital financial plans for CAO and Council approval;
- Ensuring that management reports and other financial data are readily available on an accurate, concise, and up-to-date basis;
- Ensuring the organization is in a sound cash position by monitoring the preparation of cash flow statements and forecasts, and liaising with Banks and other external bodies, as required.
- Contributing to accomplishing the organization’s strategic objectives by advising the management team and developing strategic financial policies, including the application/implementation of such policies;
- Contributing to the implementation and improvement of computer systems to ensure information is complete and readily available to decision-makers, particularly as it relates to financial information and asset management;
- Preparing and delivering to bodies to which the City is accountable, statistical and financial data associated with corporate and contractual reporting requirements;
- Oversight for all payroll, accounts receivable and payable services and the corporate personnel group benefits program.
- Preparation and submission of bylaws of direct responsibility including but not limited to those associated with borrowing, financial plans, taxation, and other financial matters;
- Ensuring the lawful and transparent conduct and systematic function of the municipality’s financial affairs in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) and the recommendations of any approved auditors of the municipality; and,
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team;
- Ability to provide guidance, advice and direction at a senior level;
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written;
- Ability to maintain, and communicate the importance of strict confidentiality;
- Ability to provide direction and leadership.
- Experience in conflict resolution, mediation and problem solving; and,
- Excellent supervisory skills.
Salary & Benefits: This is a Non-Union management position. Salary and benefits shall be in accordance with the Management Bylaw, which includes a salary range of - $88,267 - $105,727, plus benefits. If necessary, housing could be made available.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their resume and cover letter electronically to the undersigned marked “Personal and Confidential”. Send Resumes via Email to:
City of Dawson, Attention: John Skilnyk, Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
The City of Dawson thanks all applicants for their interest. Only those applicants that qualify for an interview will be contacted.