Engineering Design & Construction Technologist/Inspector
City of Peterborough
The City of Peterborough is a diversified and active community with a population of approximately 81,000 people offers excellent opportunities for growth, as well as higher learning at Trent University and Fleming College.
Division: Infrastructure Planning
File #: 17-P-03
- Provide engineering review and comment of Official Plan Amendments, secondary plans, zoning changes, condominium plans, Committee of Adjustment and site plans through planning process.
- Coordinate and administer the municipal consent processes for the location and installation of other utilities within the municipal right of way including plans review, associated liaison duties with utilities and the public, and provide municipal consent.
- Complete preliminary and detailed review of development design calculations and reports for new and replacement infrastructure associated to development applications.
- Provide detailed engineering review, comment and occasional inspection of the municipal servicing components of new subdivision development and redevelopment proposals, zoning changes, condominium plans, site plans and storm water management reports.
- Provide or review servicing cost estimate calculations for subdivision and development agreements and conduct preliminary field investigations, as necessary, to assess the impact of proposed plans.
- Liaison with other agencies, developers, consultants and members of the general public.
- Provide occasional pre-engineering topographic surveys, on-site inspection and oversight of construction projects to ensure the projects are built in accordance with City standards, plans and specifications, completed on time, within set budget limits and following proper safety procedures.
- Provide technical and administrative support in the preparation of final tender documents and for the review of engineering reports and drawings.
- Knowledge and experience normally associated with the completion of a three-year college diploma in Civil Engineering or related field and a minimum of four years previous experience in municipal engineering.
- Experience with computer assisted design (CAD) applications, record keeping and sewer design analysis, road reconstruction design, engineering contract administration, sewer monitoring equipment and storm water management methodologies and software.
- Must have knowledge of provincial and municipal policies and procedures related to surveys and construction, the Ontario Provincial Standard Specifications and Drawings, the Ministry of Transportation Construction Manual and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Requires inspection and surveying skills, knowledge of construction specifications and ability to interpret contract drawings.
- Requires well-developed communications skills (written & spoken), analytical and problem-solving skills; and skill in preparing technical reports, clear and concise electronic/computerized records.
- Must have a high level of proficiency in various software applications including MSWord, Excel and (AutoCAD – Civil 3D) and proficiency with traditional and total station survey methods. C.E.T designation is preferred.
- Requires a valid driver’s license and ability to operate a vehicle to fulfill the requirements of the job.
Salary: $63,539.74 per annum
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, quoting File #: 17-P-03 no later than 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 to:
City of Peterborough,
Human Resources Division,
City Hall, 500 George Street North,
Peterborough, Ontario K9H 3R9.
Fax: (705) 742-7021
The City of Peterborough is an organization that strives to embrace the spirit of inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive and barrier-free environment in which all individuals have access to the City's goods, services and facilities. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require an accommodation. The personal information submitted for employment is collected under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used to determine eligibility for employment. We thank you for your application, but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.