Director of Policy Planning & Environmental Sustainability
City of Vaughan
One of Southern Ontario’s fastest growing centres, with a mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is a sought after place to live and work. Considered one of Canada’s most family-friendly communities, the City of Vaughan has a dynamic and diverse population of over 320,000. Its vision of building “a city of choice” promotes diversity, innovation and opportunity for all citizens through public engagement. The City of Vaughan’s Service Excellence Strategy Map has three main Strategic Initiatives in the areas of Citizen Experience, Operational Performance, and Staff Engagement. Vaughan is committed to safe residential neighbourhoods, great schools, diverse recreational opportunities, and abundant green space. Major city-building initiatives including Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital, the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, facilitating Regional Express Rail on the Barrie GO Corridor and the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension are all underway.
- Reporting to the Deputy City Manager, Planning and Growth Management, who is a Member of the Corporate Management Team, the Director of Policy Planning & Environmental Sustainability provides leadership in the development of policies and strategies that guide the future growth and environmental sustainability of the City.
- The Director guides a team of 17 staff, including 8 direct reports in the preparation of the Vaughan Official Plan and Green Directions Vaughan – Community Sustainability and Environmental Master Plan.
- The Director works across the City, partnering with a range of departments on infrastructure availability and development capacity.
- Through the creation of land use, environmental, and infrastructure policies and guidelines, the Director ensures Vaughan continues to develop into a sustainable city featuring vibrant communities, a healthy environment, and a strong economic base.
- A Registered Professional Planner with more than 15 years of experience, ideal candidates will possess several years of experience mentoring staff and leading teams.
- The Director will possess deep knowledge of policy requirements and implementation measures of the Ontario Provincial Planning Act, the Environmental Assessment Act, the Municipal Act, and the Provincial Policy Statement.
- Knowledge and application of other area specific plans and policies such as the Growth Plan, the Greenbelt Plan, Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Plan, and Parkway Belt West Plan will be highly beneficial.
- You are a skilled facilitator, leading public and stakeholder discussions, and take a proactive approach and encourage participation.
- You are comfortable and experienced in being an advisor to Council and an expert witness to the OMB.
- Your track record demonstrates planning principles that prioritize sustainability and the creation of complete communities.
To explore this opportunity further, please contact Julia Robarts in Odgers Berndtson’s Toronto office at 416-366-1990 or submit your resume and related information online by February 27, 2017 at http://www.odgersberndtson.com/en/careers/13862.
The City of Vaughan is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), upon request, accommodation will be provided by both Odgers Berndtson and the City of Vaughan throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.