Director of Communication and Customer Experience
City of Kingston
History and innovation thrive in Kingston, located at the head of the St. Lawrence River and the junction of the Rideau Canal (a UNESCO World Heritage site). A dynamic city with a sound and diversified economic base - consisting of prestigious public institutions, government bodies, leading healthcare and education facilities, significant tourism and entertainment activity, and a large private sector, Kingston offers the quality of life of a smaller community with the amenities of a major centre. The Intelligent Community Forum named Kingston a Top 7 Intelligent Community in 2014.
Job Id#: NU328
File #: J0117-0817
Type of Position: Full-Time
Salary Range: $91,072 – $124,360
Closing Date: March 1, 2017
The Director of Communications and Customer Experience will be a high energy, creative strategist operating in a dynamic work environment, who is responsible for managing the successful implementation of corporate-wide communications, customer service, marketing and public engagement strategies to ensure the public, employees, businesses, institutions, media and others have a clear understanding of the City of Kingston’s vision, priorities, programs and messages. The Director will help shape the City’s internal and external branding and culture through effective communication and marketing strategies.
- This position will support the strategic vision of the City of Kingston by managing the integration of internal and external communications for all aspects of City business at the most senior and strategic level.
- The Director will develop, implement and evaluate corporate communication strategies that are aligned with strategic priorities and planning activities.
- Using well developed leadership skills, the Director will oversee a communications team that provides best fit communications strategies, processes and tools to support marketing, advertising, branding, and communication activities which include the use of the City website and social media.
- Bringing varied experience and skills, the Director’s creative and collaborative approach will ensure effective policy and program development and execution with performance metrics and customer service standards.
- Acting as a senior consultant to the CAO and senior management team, the Director will assist senior management team to develop, implement and evaluate an effective communications approach to strategic projects and initiatives.
- The Director will advise senior management on mitigation of emerging and potential internal/external issues, and will ensure that messages are consistent.
- The Director will assist with issues management, public relations, act as the public relations lead during emergencies, and ensure the City’s corporate and visual identity is managed proactively and professionally.
- Building rapport and relationships both internally and externally will help the Director to champion change and to implement proactive communication planning activities across the organization.
- An innovative and strategic approach will engage citizens, stakeholders and employees as the Director facilitates the enhancement of the internal systems and processes to support robust communications services.
Specifically, the Director will:
- Direct and oversee the Communications and Customer Experience Department of the City of Kingston including communications, public engagement, marketing and customer experience (including the call centre operations);
- Provide guidance and advice to the City’s leadership team and engage in the strategic communications planning management of City business;
- Create and implement a comprehensive communications strategy in support of the City’s strategic plan and business/service objectives to enhance public/stakeholder understanding of City operations, its programs and services;
- Lead in the development and implementation of a comprehensive corporate customer experience strategy;
- Manage the introduction of a City-wide content strategy to feed social and traditional communications channels;
- Write, edit and approve written material for use by senior management to ensure alignment with the City’s mission, vision, values that enhances public image and adheres to branding standards;
- Manage crisis communications, including traditional messaging, social media and media messaging; serve as the primary contact for media enquiries, identifying issues and coordinating the City’s response;
- In a declared or undeclared emergency, address threat assessment needs, implement a controlled process for dissemination of senior staff knowledge and political expectations and reactions, allow senior staff to manage and provide more controlled communications, be a key spokesperson for most crisis-related communications, develop a stronger relationship with the news media in a time of crisis;
- Build and maintain relationships with the City’s stakeholder audiences, including colleges and universities, health care institutions, Canadian Forces, Corrections Canada, businesses, civic organizations, non-profits and others;
- Manage internal communications planning and implementation for City employees, including coordinated messaging for related entities or agencies;
- Manage senior spokesperson duties;
- Develop an accountable measurement program/protocols for services provided by the Communications and Customer Experience Department;
- Design and direct communications-related training of senior City staff and for employees of the department to support the service expectations and requirements as established by senior management;
- Lead, manage and mentor employees in the effective delivery of communications-related services; and
- Establish appropriate policies, practices and reviews for writing, editing and/or approving the accuracy of public information including that in publications, promotion and marketing materials, websites and other media channels.
Qualifications & Competencies:
- A senior level communications professional with 7 years of proven corporate and/or government communications experience;
- Post-secondary degree in Public Relations, Communications or in a related field, including exposure to business administration and financial management;
- Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of a post-secondary education (diploma or degree) training, and relevant experience;
- Experience in the development and implementation of customer experience strategies;
- Experience must include senior-level strategic communications and issues management experience in the public sector, and experience in digital/social media programs;
- Experience with a multiple site organization is an asset;
- Required to obtain and maintain satisfactory CPIC (Criminal Record Check) at own expense; and
- Must demonstrate corporate competencies: Customer Focus, Results Orientation, Integrity, and Teamwork.
Skills, Abilities, Work demands:
- Strategic communications planning with understanding of legislation, standards and practices with ability to lead change;
- Recognized communications industry leadership;
- Demonstrated leadership, decision making, team building skills and ability to drive and execute for high quality results;
- Public Engagement experience and proficiency;
- Highly organized and ability to manage multiple priorities at the same time;
- Ability to inspire confidence of others with a collegial work style;
- Excellent judgment and use of discretion astute political awareness, and ability to assess and manage matters requiring confidentiality;
- Strong mediation and negotiations skills; able to resolve difficult situations while demonstrating tact and diplomacy in a politically sensitive environment;
- Experience in development and administration of annual and multi-year work plans, developing and managing budgets and people, establishing and leading projects and in setting strategies, policies;
- Proficient computer skills;
- Flexibility and ability to work outside of regular business hours.
Please apply to Career Opportunities at: www.cityofkingston.ca/Careers
Your resume must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements of the position. Please upload to your profile, any educational Degrees, Diplomas and/or Certificates that are relevant and required for the position you are applying to.
We thank all of those who apply; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The City of Kingston is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.