Manager, Municipal Governance & Manager, Municipal Structures
Ministry of Municipal Affairs
The Ministry of Municipal Affairs, Local Government Policy Branch (LGPB) is seeking two results-oriented leaders to oversee the development of policy and legislation to promote strong, accountable municipalities.
The Local Government Policy Branch is responsible for the development of policies, legislation and regulations related to municipal government structure, accountability and transparency, service delivery and elections, as well as the development of strategies for consultation with municipalities, municipal organizations and client groups.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In either of these roles, you will:
- Manage the planning, development and implementation of strategic policies, agendas and frameworks, and ensure consistency with ministry and government standards to support delivery and integration of key government and ministry policies, programs and regulatory mandates.
- Provide advice as well as address emerging issues regarding local government structure and powers.
- Coordinate the interpretation and application of provisions found in the Municipal Act and other legislation.
- Collaborate with other branches and ministries on the development of their policies, including identifying potential municipal impacts and working to mitigate those impacts.
- Provide educational materials, tools and guidance to municipalities and stakeholders on a variety of issues.
- Ensure that emerging issues and trends that have potentially major implications for the ministry and government are anticipated and managed.
- Lead ministry, inter-ministry and inter-jurisdictional and inter-governmental committees, policy forums, and working groups, to develop consensus on strategic policy, program delivery and issues management.
How do I qualify?
Strong Leadership Experience
- You have demonstrated the ability to lead and motivate a team to achieve organizational goals while maintaining a positive work environment with a focus on staff development.
- You are a strategic leader who can promote a culture of inclusion, engagement, accountability and efficiency in a fast-paced and high-profile environment.
- You are a strong negotiator who can influence others to find business-oriented and collaborative solutions for complex issues.
Relationship Management and Communication Skills
- You have proven issues management, conflict resolution and negotiation skills to deal with a diverse array of stakeholders and partners.
- You have extensive experience proactively building, maintaining and leveraging strategic partnerships with external stakeholders in order to gather input, build consensus, manage issues and deliver on priorities.
- You have a consistent track record of demonstrating accountability, innovation, respect, fairness, and integrity.
- You have knowledge of local government issues, practices, policies and decision-making.
- You have a strong understanding of working with municipalities and municipal legislation.
- You have experience in legislative processes and managing the development of policy proposals and evaluations.
- You have senior-level expertise in leading change initiatives, and facilitating and supporting the implementation of policy and program development.
- Interviews for this competition are anticipated to begin in early February 2018.
Salary range: $90,348 - $127,343 per year
Location: 777 Bay St, Toronto
Duration: 2 Permanent
Please apply online, only, by Wednesday, January 17, 2018, by visiting http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?Language=English&JobID=116799. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact the Executive Recruitment Unit at email@example.com
. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.