Town of Morinville
The Town Morinville is a growing community approaching 10,000 people right on the doorstep of Metro Edmonton. Developed on a foun-dation of rich heritage and culture spanning 100+ years, it offers an excellent quality of life with convenient access to all nearby big city amenities while retaining the characteristics of a vibrant and flourishing service centre for the surrounding rural community.
The Town of Morinville is currently seeking a full time Development Officer to join the Planning & Economic Development team. Reporting to the Manager (Planning & Economic Development), the Development Officer will demonstrate exceptional customer service when meeting with various stakeholders to evaluate development proposals and applications. The Development Officer will actively engage in a team environment, collaborating with like-minded, problem solving colleagues within the department and inter-departmentally to achieve the overall vision of the Town of Morinville as described in and enabled by our statutory plans and Land Use Bylaw.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Working with the public, developers and those in the construction industry to provide exceptional customer service while informing clients of submission requirements for complete applications.
- Review, evaluate, and process residential and commercial development permit applications to ensure compliance with the Town’s policies and Land Use Bylaw.
- Collaborate, where required, with members of the Department regarding the issuance and monitoring of Safety Codes permitting.
- Compile and prepare reports as required by Statistics Canada, Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation, Municipal Affairs, Coun-cil reports and quarterly reports.
- Perform field investigations of non-compliant development/planning related activity and facilitate the resolution of issues to comply with the Land Use Bylaw and other regulations.
- Follow the necessary enforcement procedures and steps for all development permits collaborating with members of the Department and other Town staff.
- The ideal candidate will possess a certificate in Applied Land Use Planning or a diploma in Planning from an accredited post-secondary institution.
- Three (3) years of related or progressive experience in a municipal environment.
- Experience within the construction industry with direct public contact considered an asset.
- Extensive knowledge of the functions of municipal government, the application of bylaws and policies.
- Working knowledge of the Municipal Government Act and the Town’s statutory plans specifically the Municipal Development Plan, Land Use Bylaw, Municipal Sustainability Plan, various area structure plans and the Highway 642 (100th Avenue) Functional Plan.
- Ability to read and understand architectural drawings, Real Property Reports and site plans and perform mathematical calculations to independently determine compliance of code and bylaw requirements.
- Excellent customer service skills with the objective of balancing the needs of stakeholders with the interests of the municipality.
- A proficiency in interpersonal communication (verbal and written skills) with demonstrable ability to express ideas.
- Proven problem solving, negotiating and conflict resolution skills to anticipate and prevent potential issues and to maintain positive and effective working relationships with staff, the public and other stakeholders.
- A positive and approachable attitude complimented with a strong work ethic and ability to work in fast paced environments often on multiple files simultaneously. Proficiency in MS Office suite.
Compensation: Salary Range of $54,987- $69,281 annually (7 Step Grid—currently under review), based on a 35 hour work week. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including Pension, Professional Development opportunities along with a supportive work environment.
Application Deadline: 12:00 pm, January 08, 2018
Please submit resumes by the above noted deadline; however, resumes will be accepted until the position has been filled.
The Town of Morinville thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit applications quoting “Development Officer” to:
Human Resources, Town of Morinville
10125-100 Avenue, Morinville, AB T8R 1L6
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Fax: 780-939-5633 | Web: www.morinville.ca