Reporting to the Director of Community Services, the incumbent will be responsible for the overall management of the Community Services – Public Works and Parks, including:
• Hiring and managing all staff involved in Public Works and Parks operation and maintenance;
• Preparing, monitoring and managing capital and operating budgets;
• Planning and procuring fleet;
• Overseeing and ensuring the safe operation and maintenance of equipment;
• Reviewing, updating and preparing policies and procedures to ensure compliance with all new and existing regulations and legislation;
• Ensuring work is planned, prioritized, assigned, supervised and reviewed, as required;
• Providing or coordinating training for staff to ensure employees are up-to-date with safety initiatives, new policies, procedures and/or equipment;
• Ensuring a high standard of workmanship and efficiency is maintained by monitoring and evaluating operations and activities and to ensure projects/assignments are completed on time and within allotted budget;
• Maintaining a current knowledge of the prevailing Collective Agreement, the Township of Scugog Health and Safety Policies and Procedures Manual, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the Hwy. Traffic Act and all other legislation and regulations pertaining to the operation of licensed and unlicensed vehicles;
• Investigating all problems reported and where feasible, initiating corrective action;
• Communicating and liaising professionally with senior management, colleagues, contractors, consultants, internal/external client groups, staff and the general public;
• Investigating claims, liaising with insurance adjusters and providing testimony at legal proceedings on road related actions brought against the Township;
• Preparing and presenting reports to Council and Committee, and speaking as the subject expert at Council meetings;
• Responding to emergencies; and
• Providing coverage for the Director, as required.
• Knowledge and skills in municipal public works and parks acquired through a diploma or degree in civil engineering technology, related field or equivalent education and experience;
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in municipal public works and parks;
• Previous experience supervising in a unionized environment;
• Strong knowledge of Provincial legislation and policy that affects the operation of municipal public works and parks;
• Valid Ontario Driver’s License, Class G is required, class DZ is a considered an asset;
• Ability to meet deadlines, function well under pressure, and respond to frequently changing demands;
• Strong customer service, interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written);
• Good analytical, planning, time management and problem solving skills;
• Excellent leadership, delegating, coaching and mentoring skills;
• Proficient in computer application such as MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word, GIS and asset management software.
* Due to the nature of this position, work hours will occur outside of the regular Township business hours including evenings, nights, holidays and weekends, specifically during winter operations.
Please submit a covering letter and resume clearly outlining how you meet the qualifications of this position by 4:00 p.m. on Monday, January 22, 2018 to:
The Office of the CAO, Township of Scugog
181 Perry Street, P.O. Box 780
Port Perry, ON L9L 1A7
via email to email@example.com
or via fax 905-985-9914.
Please mark replies, “Manager of Public Works and Parks”.
NOTE: Personal information will be used to determine eligibility for potential employment and is pursuant to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.