Director, Transportation Strategic Initiatives and Programs
Region of York
Transportation Services Department
Strategic Initiatives and Programs Branch
Location: Newmarket, Ontario. This is a Non-Union position.
Full-Time, Salary $138,785 - $163,236 annually.
Do you have a passion for innovative thinking, strategic planning and continuous improvement? Can you strategize and action ‘big-picture’ initiatives? Can you assess needs, lead and implement change and evaluate outcomes? If you have answered ‘yes’, the Director, Transportation, Strategic Initiatives and Programs may be the perfect next career step for you.
Reporting to the Commissioner of Transportation Services, you will be responsible for anticipating emerging trends, issues and challenges as they relate to the delivery of transportation services to York Region’s citizens. You will implement special projects and initiatives, and help normalize a culture of operational effectiveness, customer service and public engagement in the department.
To be effective, you will demonstrate excellent political awareness and understanding of the political and strategic environment. You will lead the development of integrated policies and practices that align with the Region’s standards and departmental strategic plans.
Using your knowledge of best practices in public engagement, and drawing on your exceptional communication abilities, you will partner with other departmental teams as they engage with all clients. You will lead a team that will manage the development, design and execution of integrated communication and customer service strategies that positively influence the understanding and perception of York Region’s Transportation Services with both internal and external stakeholders.
Other responsibilities include:
- Working collaboratively with Council, senior leadership, municipal and industry partners, other government organizations and the communit
- Monitoring program effectiveness to help track return on efforts and investment for initiatives across the department will be crucia
- Developing and implementing customer service strategies, and evaluating them against benchmarks for best practices to ensure quality of service to customer
- Representing the department in a wide variety of complex corporate initiatives to provide information, advice and recommendations on behalf of the leadership tea
- Participating in strategic planning, annual and long-range budget forecast
- Maintaining an awareness of the political and economic climate, driving decisions and effectively integrating into planning activitie
- Liaising closely with branch Directors to ensure alignment and support of overall department and corporate goals
- Successful completion of a University Degree in Business Management, Administration, Policy or related field
- Minimum seven years progressive experience in the public or private sector – with several years senior management experience – and with responsibility in policy development, analysis and project management (including leadership experience), strategic planning, change management strategies and human resource management
- Knowledge of the Region's role, functions, legislative and policy framework as those apply to the Region’s delivery of the suite of its transportation services
- Knowledge of strategic planning methodologies and the ability to analyze complex material and synthesize key concepts
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable legislation, municipal and Regional government organization and structure, industry standards, issues and communities served
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer service, communication, team work, initiative/self-management, accountability and flexibility/adaptability
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability in management competencies including results/achievement focus, leadership, financial management, business planning, decision making/judgment, representation and professionalism and job knowledge
Please apply on-line by clicking here by January 18, 2018, quoting competition #21582. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted via email or by telephone. For additional information on The Regional Municipality of York, please visit the above-mentioned website.