Manager, Community Recreation
City of Markham
Salary Range: 106645.00 to 125509.00 (CAD) Annually
Job Class: Management
The City of Markham is a dynamic and change-oriented leader among Canadian municipalities. The recipient of multiple environmental awards, we are recognized for our innovative sustainability and urban planning initiatives as much as for our fiscal accountability. More than 320,000 residents call Markham home and benefit from our rich heritage, culturally diverse environment, vibrant local economy and focus on quality of life.
Applications are now being accepted for the Manager, Community Recreation position in the Recreation Department within the Community and Fire Services Commission. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume on-line at www.markham.ca/jobs by January 7, 2018.
Reporting to the Director of Recreation Services, the Community Recreation manager is a member of the Recreation Services Management Team and provides leadership for a multi-faceted team in delivering recreation and leisure opportunities within a designated geographic area. This includes management of various facility types, program development and delivery and facilitation of community groups. The Manager will actively engage residents, stakeholders, Ward Councillors and community leaders. The position will include mentoring, supporting, motivating and providing guidance on performance management of all staff within the geographic area. The Manager will guide the team to meet the growing needs of the community, focusing on excellence in service delivery, community engagement, sustainability and growth while maintaining fiscal responsibility for community centres and programs in the area. The Community Recreation Manager provides leadership and direction including developing, supporting and motivating a work group of approximately 25-40 full-time staff and up to 400 part-time staff. The Manager fosters workplace practices committed to service excellence and health and safety.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and direction to the staff team, full-time (unionized and non-unionized) and part-time, including coaching, training, developing, motivating and mentoring of direct reports. Builds a high-performing and collaborative team comprised of diverse disciplines.
- Work actively and cooperatively within the Recreation Services team to ensure consistent service excellence is maintained throughout all communities
- Champion community engagement including identification of, and regular connection with, community leaders, stakeholders and organizations
- Develop and closely monitor budget and financial performance and leads actions to ensure financial accountability
- Manage the lifecycle planning for Recreation facilities within the geographic area
- Develop and monitor annual capital budgets
- Create and develop innovative partnerships to enhance overall service delivery within the community
- Ensure quality customer service practices
- Actively explore revenue generation opportunities and business development initiatives
- Support, communicate and participate in corporate wide strategic initiativesà
- Prepare for, and manage, all types of risk
- Effectively manage conflict and crisis situations
- Ensures compliance with all relevant legislation, collective agreements and corporate policies and procedures
- Ensure staff team works in a safe manner in accordance with the organization’s health and safety policies and procedures and all relevant legislationàManage the financial resources to ensure customer and staff satisfaction, financial performance and operational excellence are optimized
- Responsible for management of budgets with expense of $5-6 M and revenues of $3-4 M. Monitoring of monthly budget expectations and reporting on variance with responsibility to identify and develop strategies to mitigate variances.
- Represent the Department on corporate wide initiatives to ensure alignment with the strategic direction of the organization
- Service Excellence: Focuses organizational resources on understanding and responding effectively and efficiently to customer needs.
- Change & Innovation: Encourages innovation and effectively leads, implements, assess and sustains change initiatives.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Develops collaborative and high-performing teams as well as effective relationships with colleagues and partners.
- Communication: Adapts communication approach to needs of audience and situation, and develops staff in this area.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Ensures work group behaves e4thically and complies with expectations, policies and legislation; focuses work group efforts to work plan.
- Management & Leadership: Builds an engaging environment that supports learning, career development and regular feedback, and that attracts and retains high-performing staff.
- Strategic Thinking & Planning: Understands and assesses complex concepts, trends and relationships; participates in business planning; makes decisions that align with the City’s strategic direction.
- At least 7 years of progressive supervisory/management experience in Recreation or related fields
- Post-secondary education in Recreation or related fields
- Exposure to unionized environment is an asset
- Superior communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal
- Demonstrated leadership ability and positive team-focused attitude
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong problem solving and conflict management skills
- Superior organizational and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to work under pressure and multi-task in a multi-disciplinary environment
- As a condition of employment, you will be required to provide a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening check
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
We thank all those applicants who have applied; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting our office.