Supervisor, Plans & Permits
City of Brampton
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Under the direction of the Manager, Plans & Permits, responsible for the supervision of Plans Examiners; monitors the plans examination program to ensure proper and consistent application of technical standards and divisional standard practices; makes recommendations for improvements in procedures, methods and policies.
- Responsible for the day-to-day implementation of procedures, policies and regulations for building plans
- review process.
- Provides guidance to and leads plans examiners in the implementation of their duties.
- Plans, prioritizes, assigns projects to plans examination staff based on qualifications and experience.
- Conducts periodic evaluations of plans examiners’ review of permit applications and drawings for completeness, technical accuracy and ensures consistent quality standards are upheld.
- Responsible for the training of new plans examiners.
- Monitors the plans examination tracking (AMANDA) program.
- Prepares reports and summaries for complex projects and projects with technical or regulatory issues.
- Interacts with designers, contractors, homeowners, internal and external agencies (Public Works, Development Engineering, Planning, Fire Department, Region of Peel – Public Works, Conservation Authorities, etc.).
- Responds to enquiries regarding the time frames with respect to the issuance of permits.
- Advises the public and professionals with respect to the building code, building code interpretations, by-laws, development review process and other related enquiries.
- Responds to enquiries related to Plans Examiners’ code interpretations for permit submission.
- Participates in the recruitment process for Plans Examiners and provides input.
- Assists Manager of Plans and Permits in the preparation and maintenance of standard practices.
- Maintains and updates current knowledge, skills and professional certification to meet organizational and provincial standards.
- Degree in Engineering or Architecture or Diploma in Engineering or Architectural Technology.
- Successful completion of the provincial qualification programme in the following categories: Legal Processes, Small Buildings, Large Buildings, Building Structural, Complex Buildings and Building Services. Working towards completion of Plumbing – All Buildings.
- Minimum of 5 years in a building code enforcement capacity or related construction regulatory environment.
- Managerial/supervisory experience in a related field is preferred. Proven ability to work effectively with staff in a team environment.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated excellent public relations and customer service skills.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and report writing skills.
- Demonstrated influencing and issue resolution abilities.
- Strong time management skills including ability to effectively manage priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Good performance and work record.
** Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
TO APPLY: Please apply online, quoting file number: 102759 by January 7, 2018 at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com and search for key words City of Brampton. If you require assistance with the application process, please contact us directly. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview with be contacted. We are dedicated to equal opportunity.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.