Real Estate Coordinator
City of Brampton
(3 YEAR CONTRACT)
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Realty Services, this position is in a team of real estate administrators, primarily responsible for leading or assisting with due diligence, negotiations, valuations and document preparation in connection with the transaction of real estate interests. Responsible for preparing and operating in accordance with policies and procedures that guide the activities of the Realty Services section; completing appraisal reports for medium and long range purposes, including determination of cash payments in lieu of parkland dedication and in connection with real estate transactions.
- Research, draft, update and operate in accordance with policies and procedures that guide the activities of the Realty Services Section, such as the Real Estate Policy, and Standard Operating Procedures in connection with: Acquisition, Surplus Declaration and Disposals, and more.
- Answer inquiries from Council, other staff and the general public concerning the transactions of City-owned real estate and commence the transaction process, where appropriate.
- Lead negotiations, documentation and implementation of routine, non-controversial real estate transactions (land acquisitions, disposals, leases, licenses, easements, encroachments and other limited interest agreements) with appropriate consideration given to long-term and immediate real estate needs of the Corporation.Provide support to Senior Real Estate Coordinators or Senior Manager, Realty Services, in connection with non-routine, potentially controversial, complex transactions.
- Develop and maintain an automated real estate inventory of City properties in co-ordination with existing property databases in other departments.
- Direct and co-ordinate contracts with outside consultants, real estate companies and appraisers.
- Supervise the work of administrative support staff, as it relates to the functions of the Real Estate Co-ordinator.
- Prepare and continuously update citywide land values data using a variety of sources.
- Prepare reports to Council and attend Council and Committee meetings, as required.
- Prepare GIS based sketches and plans, as required.
- Participate as a member of the Real Estate Coordination Team and special project teams to ensure the proper co-ordination and prioritization of real estate matters.
- Liaise with staff of other City departments, Hydro One Brampton, the Region of Peel and other public agencies and authorities on real estate matters.
- Liaise with and assist outside appraisers retained by the City for specific projects.
- Maintain membership in Appraisal Institute of Canada, Ontario Association of Municipal Real Estate Administrators or Ontario Expropriation Association.
- University/college degree in Geography, Economics, or similar.
- Courses in Real Estate Appraisal (Appraisal Institute of Canada or equivalent) and Right of Way education (International Right of Way Association or equivalent) would be an asset.
- At least 3 years working experience in real estate or law office.
- Exceptional communication skills along with superior report writing; computer, MS office suite software, good performance and work record.
** Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
TO APPLY: Please apply by December 13, 2017 at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com and search for key words City of Brampton. If you require assistance with the application process, please contact us directly. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview with be contacted. We are dedicated to equal opportunity.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
- Research, draft, update and operate in accordance with policies and procedures that guide the activities of the Realty Services Section, such as the Real Estate Policy, and Standard Operating Procedures in connection with: Surplus Declaration and Disposals.
- Coordinate strategies to deal with City-owned buildings that are considered “transitional” in nature.
- Be familiar with and analyze the City’s building portfolio to identify potential transitional properties.
- Evaluate life cycle costing to identify and present effective and efficient use alternatives through asset optimization, operational and maintenance cost reviews, etc. Anticipate value at end of expected asset life.
- Assist with highest and best use studies and identification of adaptive reuse opportunities.
- Identify opportunities to decommission non-productive, low-performing, or redundant assets.
- Support Real Estate Coordinators with property valuation in connection with transitional properties.
- Maintain automated real estate inventory of City properties in coordination with existing property databases.
- Maintain property data utilizing Integrated Workplace Management System for the purpose of monitoring and reporting.
- Participate as a core member of the Real Estate Coordination Team (RECT) and special project teams to ensure proper coordination and prioritization of real estate matters.
- Coordinate and collaborate with internal client departments – facility utilization, property needs – for optimal service delivery.
- University/college degree in Facility/Property Management, Business Administration, or similar;
- Certificate in Asset Management;
- Additional formal training courses in Environmental Health and Safety are considered an asset;
- Association membership with BOMI, IFMA, and/or IRWA is considered an asset;
- 3-5 years working experience in a municipal setting, or real estate or property management office;
- Exceptional communication skills and report writing;
- Computer, MS office suite software;
- Excellent performance and work record;
- Ability to wear full personal protective equipment (PPE).