Assessment Review Analyst
City of Brampton
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Supervisor, Tax Policy and Assessment this position is responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the Assessment Roll for taxation purposes. Represent the City before various tribunals. Maintain close communication with key Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) personnel and other relevant stakeholders. Respond to inquiries from the public, staff, and other levels of government.
- Represent the City at the Assessment Review Board (ARB) as an advocate and/or a witness, including confidential hearings for poverty appeals
- Prepare and present the Corporation’s position including review and preparation of Statements of Issues and City Responses to assessment appeals
- Negotiate and recommend appeal settlements on behalf of the Corporation
- Record and monitor decisions of the Assessment Review Board and other tribunals
- Initiate City assessment appeals with Council approval
- Review all Minutes of Settlement and make recommendations of acceptance or rejection
- Communicate with Tax Agents, Lawyers, MPAC, and the ARB
- Perform annual review of assessment roll to identify anomalies in assessments with respect to classifications, values, dates, and timeliness
- Monitor data from various sources in review of assessment roll, including Rezoning Bylaws, Pre-servicing Agreements, new Registered Plans, new construction etc.
- Identify the City’s assessment growth market trends, errors and anomalies and correspond with MPAC to confirm actual growth to the assessment base
- Respond to public inquiries regarding assessment related issues
- Coordinate and monitor Clerks and summer students, assign and review work.
- Special projects as assigned
- High school (Grade 12) graduation plus an additional programme of three to four years in Business, Urban Planning, Commerce or equivalent.
- Over four (4) years, up to and including eight (8) years of combined experience in the municipal assessment and tax environment.
- MIMA Designation from the Institute of Municipal Assessors or equivalent professional accreditation in a recognized Appraisal/Assessment Institute or Association is required.
- Valid non-probationary Ontario class G driver’s licence.
- Demonstrated understanding of concepts and methodologies used in property valuation for assessment purposes an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of provincial and municipal statutes and regulations, pertaining to assessment, taxation and the ability to interpret and explain complex legislation an asset.
- General knowledge and understanding of Zoning Bylaws, Official Plan, Planning Act and the Planning process an asset.
- Proven negotiation skills with the ability to resolve complex and controversial issues related to assessment and taxation an asset.
- Experienced with proceedings before the Assessment Review Board and other Tribunals an asset.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service an asset.
- Experience with MS Office, including Access, Excel and Word an asset.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
TO APPLY: Please apply online, quoting file number: 102732 by December 20, 2017 at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com and search for key words City of Brampton. If you require assistance with the application process, please contact us directly. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview with be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. We are dedicated to equal opportunity.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.