Program Manager, Strategy, Research and Initiatives
Regional Municipality of York
Progressive and collaborative, with a clear, long-term vision. We value employees’ contributions and inspire excellence. We are driven by a desire to help shape and serve the growing community in which we live and work.
Reporting to the Manager, Corporate Strategic Planning and Initiatives is responsible for providing advisory support through the Office of the CAO to the Office of the Regional Chair, the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) and the Department, including conducting research and analysis of legislative initiatives; providing information on changes in legislation and regulations; providing advisory and consultative guidance on policy initiatives to the Office of the Regional Chair, CAO, Commissioner, Executive Director and Manager; representing the Region and chairing and/or participating as a member on internal and external committees which may include the Municipal Benchmarking Network Canada (MBNC) and project teams; managing the Environics Community Opinion Polling program and other polling initiatives as directed, and providing administrative support for the Offices of the Regional Chair and CEO, and CAO.
- Successful completion of a University degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Economics or related field or approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum three (3) years demonstrated experience in policy and planning, policy/project management advisory experience in a public sector environment, and a sound understanding of municipal organizational environment.
- General knowledge of public policy, practices and issues, provincial legislation and current issues affecting local government with an understanding of public sector management accountability frameworks.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant Standards, Acts and Regulations.
- Demonstrated understanding of the current municipal governance model and awareness of future potential models as utilized in other jurisdictions.
- Leadership competencies including operating strategically, leveraging diversity and differences, customer focused, ensuring accountability, managing complex problems, financial management, employing interactive and effective communication, fostering collaborative relationships, cultivating engagement to drive vision and purpose, managing and developing talent, establishing and maintaining trust, displaying self-awareness, and demonstrating resiliency.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to convey direction of the Office of the Regional Chair and/or CAO to other Regional Departments as required and directed and to act as liaison between the Office of the Regional Chair, CAO, elected officials, employees, public, media and other Regions/municipalities.
- Sound judgment and political acumen to handle contentious and/or sensitive issues.
- Demonstrated presentation, project management, administrative, conceptual, analytical and report-writing skills.
- Computer literacy in a windows environment utilizing MS Office software applications and proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database software.
- Leadership ability to foster cooperative and collaborative working relationships, lead multiple projects and cross-functional teams.
- Ability to work effectively independently, to multi-task and prioritize work effectively.
- Ability to work outside regular business hours, as required.
Please apply on-line by clicking here by January 4, 2018, quoting competition #21546. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted via email or by telephone. For additional information on The Regional Municipality of York, please visit the above-mentioned website.