City of Lloydminster
Rate of Pay: Band 6: $33.11 - $36.17 per hour
(Subject to CUPE 1015 Agreement & LOU Deferred Leave Program)
Reporting to the Director, Planning and Engineering, the Project Technician will:
- Perform construction completion and final inspections of municipal utilities and municipal land developments to ensure compliance with the City Municipal Development Standards.
- Assist with small-scale functional, preliminary and detailed design drawings for a municipal engineering projects related to municipal utilities using AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Provide professional services including small-scale design and construction management to other civic departments under the direction of the Director, Planning and Engineering.
- Assist with administration of all aspects of construction contracts to ensure compliance with contractual requirements, local, provincial and federal ordinances and occupational health and safety regulations.
- Perform construction supervision duties for municipal engineering projects related to roadways and municipal utilities including keeping records of on-site activities and discussions and providing updates to the Project Lead or Senior Manager, Engineering.
- Perform surveys as required using conventional survey equipment including GPS for municipal engineering projects related to municipal utilities.
- Provide supervision, construction layout and inspection on small-scale municipal engineering projects related to municipal infrastructure and utilities.
- Provide written and oral instruction, guidance and assistance to contractors, consultants and field crews, as required.
- Develop and maintain liaison with other agencies, the general public, contractors and other civic departments.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of short and long-term goals for Engineering.
- Assist with the preparation of Requests for Engineering Qualification, Proposal, Quotation or Tender.
- Monitor the activities and schedules of consulting engineering firms and or contractors.
- Assists with maintaining the City of Lloydminster Municipal Development Standards and Construction Specifications.
- Provide data to support City GIS asset management.
- Establish and maintain an effective working relationship with Construction Community, Engineering Consultants, Shallow Utilities Groups, Government Agencies, and other external groups.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Director, Planning and Engineering.
Normal working hours for this position are Monday to Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Additional hours will be required on evenings and weekends as per project specific requirements. Overtime is compensated as per CUPE 1015 Agreement.
- The successful candidate will be a graduate of a recognized twoyear post-secondary Civil Engineering Program or related discipline. Must be a member of, or eligible for, membership with the Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET) or the Saskatchewan Applied Science Technologists and Technicians (SASTT).
- The incumbent must be able to operate conventional and electronic survey and data-collection equipment and produce, read and interpret engineering plans and specifications.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, with a strong attention to detail are required.
- Previous municipal engineering experience is required.
- Must be capable of working with minimal supervision, and have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Will have demonstrated skills in Computer Aided Drafting, using AutoCAD Civil 3D, involving complex technical drawings and file management, civil construction details, and consultant drawing coordination.
- Must possess a Valid Class 5 Vehicle Operators License in the province of Alberta or Saskatchewan, with a clean driver’s abstract, is required.
Offer is contingent upon receiving a satisfactory criminal record check, prior to employment.
Special Instructions: Driver’s abstract to be provided with application submission.
Closing Date: December 11, 2017
Application Information: The City of Lloydminster is an equal opportunity employer. If you have questions or require further information on this position, please contact us. All applications must be made in writing to the Employee Relations team and received by the closing date.
City of Lloydminster
Lloydminster AB/SK T9V 0W2
External Candidate Email: firstname.lastname@example.org