Manager of Human Resources
Grand River Conservation Authority
The Grand River Conservation Authority (GRCA) has an international reputation for excellence in managing the natural resources of the largest inland river system in southern Ontario. Encompassing approximately 6,800 square kilometres, the Grand River watershed has a population of almost one million people in 39 municipalities and two First Nations. Designated as a Canadian Heritage River, the Grand River and its major tributaries boast many outstanding human heritage features and excellent recreational opportunities. The GRCA is committed to environmental protection by delivering services that ensure the well-being of the environment and its inhabitants.
Reporting to the Secretary Treasurer/ Deputy CAO, the Manager of Human Resources operates as a generalist having experience knowledge and skills in all areas of human resources and is responsible for the oversight of HR and health and safety policies, projects and programs. Additionally, this position provides guidance and advice in strategic human resources issues and is a member of the Authority’s management team.
- Provide overall direction and ensure the effective execution of human resources and health and safety initiatives.
- Work with the members of the management team to ensure effective communications with staff and to maintain positive employee relations.
- Facilitate the job evaluation process and participate on the Job Evaluation Committee.
- Oversee the administration of employee benefits, including the group insurance plan, OMERS, flex work program, LTD claims, employee assistance program, WSIB claims and return to work programs.
- Act as management representative in the collective bargaining process, administer the collective agreement, participate in the grievance process and work with the union and management to ensure positive labour relations.
- Provide guidance and recommendations to all staff and management on employment-related legislative and policy compliance.
- Oversee the recruitment process including participating in interviews and advising on recruiting for senior level positions.
- Coordinate corporate training and development programs and work with staff and supervisors to address specific training needs.
- Participate on the JHSC as management representative and act as corporate health and safety program champion.
- Interact with other HR professionals and external organizations to acquire information regarding trends and market conditions for compensation, benefits, etc.
- Establish strong working relationships and open collaboration within the Human Resources team, the management team, and with all divisions and departments within the GRCA.
- Participate on Management Committee contributing to the development of corporate strategic plans, goals and objectives, policies and annual budgets.
- Post-secondary education at the graduate level or equivalent in Human Resources, Business Administration or a related discipline. A Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) designation is required.
- At least six years of relevant work experience in a senior Human Resources role.
- Strong communication skills with the demonstrated ability to present clearly, promote understanding through effective verbal, written and listening skills, facilitate change and build consensus.
- Experience working in a unionized environment and proven labour relations skills with emphasis in conflict resolution, problem solving, collaboration and negotiation skills.
- Proven ability to interact effectively with employees at all levels of the organization and contribute significantly to the strategic decision-making process of the Management team.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including the ability to attract, retain, develop & mentor staff.
- Working knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, Employment Standards Act, Pay Equity Act, Ontario Human Rights Code, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, Labour Relations Act and other related pieces of human resources and health and safety legislation, regulations and guidelines.
- Valid driver’s licence.
The 2017 salary range for this position is Job Level L $101,233 to $123,155.
GRCA offers a comprehensive group benefits package including health, dental, vision care, life and disability insurance, membership in the OMERS pension plan and a pass which entitles you to free entry into all GRCA conservation areas.
Approximate Start Date: January 2018
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org in MS Word or PDF format and quote “Manager of Human Resources” in the subject line.
Deadline for Applications: 4:00pm Tuesday, December 12, 2017
We thank you for your interest, however only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.