City of Waterloo
The Environment and Parks Division is seeking a dynamic professional to join our team. A 24 month opportunity exists for a Landscape Architect to provide project management and contract administration for various capital parkland developments and open space projects.
- Delivery of major parkland development and capital projects including coordinating budgets, design, and construction.
- Coordination and facilitation of community public workshops, meetings and stakeholder engagement
- Preparation of landscape designs for parkland, green space corridors and urban spaces
- Landscape architectural design from conceptual stage, through detailed design to the preparation of plans, construction drawings, specifications and contract documents
- Work closely with operations, engineering, planning, finance and other internal staff to ensure sustainability of project designs
- Assist project team in RFPs and tendering processes as per the City’s procurement bylaw.
- Oversee work and payment of project consultants and contractors
- Coordinate design, construction and budgets for capital projects
- Preparation of written reports, council reports, design proposals and cost estimates/quotations
- Direct liaison with the community, approval agencies, City staff and Council
- Provide expertise to various Committees of Council
- Act as department lead on social media outreach and associated project websites
- University degree in Landscape Architecture combined with a minimum of 5 years of related work experience
- Full membership in the O.A.L.A.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and management of landscape architectural projects
- Demonstrated experience as an effective project manager with strong organizational, decision making and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated experience in social media communications and website maintenance
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team environment
- Highly developed written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a strong focus on customer service and responsiveness to internal and external stakeholder needs and demonstrated ability to effectively resolve diverse stakeholder concerns and reach consensus
- Excellent organizational skills and proven ability to coordinate and manage multiple tasks and projects to successful completion with strong attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and AutoCAD; GIS (Arcview), Adobe Creative Suite, and 3D rendering software such as Sketch Up Pro experience is considered an asset
- Manual graphic illustration skills
- Valid Class G driver’s licence with a satisfactory driver’s abstract
- A satisfactory police records check will be required as a condition of hire
Online Application Process
Interested and qualified candidates must submit their resume and cover letter in one document through the online application process at: www.waterloo.ca/careers/
Closing Date : December 8, 2017
All qualified City of Waterloo employees may apply, however during the selection process there is a specific sequence that will be followed. Members of the City of Waterloo Staff Association who have completed their probationary period in their most recent position will be considered first for this posting. Please note that members who have recently completed a secondment must complete a twelve (12) month period in their base position before they are eligible to apply for a new secondment.
The City of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
100 Regina Street South,
Waterloo, ON N2J 4A8
Salary Range: $43.39-$54.23
Hours of Work: 35
Division: Environment & Parks Services
Department: Community Services
Work Location: Waterloo Service Centre